The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:

> Lester Zick wrote:
>

>>On 27 Jul 2006 15:42:08 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>>wrote:

>>>I'm not sure *exactly* what people have in mind when they're talking
>>>about absolute truth. But they're obviously not talking about truth
>>>independent of the semantics. I think they mean independent of human
>>>minds, human culture, that sort of thing.

>>If they mean independent of human minds, human culture, and that sort
>>of thing what do you mean by not independent of the semantics and why
>>obviously so?
>>

> What do I mean by it? Which word don't you understand?
>
> My claim is that it is obvious that no truths are absolute in the sense
> of being true independently of the semantics. I'm really amazed that
> this claim has generated so much discussion. It seems like an utter
> triviality to me.

It's a little difficult to see your position with just the explanation
"it's just obvious" (long time ago in Hilbert's, Newton's times, and
beyond, a lot of things were "absolutely obvious" too!). So how about
letting me pose some questions and then perhaps your direct answers
would help to clarify your position a bit further.

Let's take a look at another _analogy_. An alien has landed on Earth and
a human representative comes out to greet .... "it". In a moment of
historic proportion and of awe, the two simply utter the following:

The alien:

(1) I look like an alien to you!

The human being:

(2) You look like an alien to me!

Let me ask you a few questions related to truth, semantic, ....

Q1: Isn't it true that (1) and (2) have 2 different semantics?

Q2: Isn't it true that (1) and (2) are being interpreted as the
same truth?

Q3: If the other around: alien utters (2) and human being (1),
Would the semantics of the sentences change? How about the
truth(s): are we still talking about the same truth(s)?

>>Lester Zick
>> ~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06