The Math Forum

Topic: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Replies: 115   Last Post: Aug 7, 2006 1:30 AM

zr

Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics

No the Bellboy has $2
The Till has $25
The Clients paid $9 each
Regardless there is still $1 missing

"herbzet" <herbzet@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> zr wrote:

>> Three men walk into a hotel in downtown Tel Aviv.
>> We need a suite for 4 hours to talk business.
>> Well says the concierge I have one smaller room available. It will cost
>> you
>> $30.00 for 4 hours.
>> Fine said the three, and they each put in $10.00 and took the elevator up
>> the 5th floor.
>> The concierge once they had left realized that he had overcharged them by
>> $5. He called the Bell Captain and explaining the overcharge handed the
>> Captain $5 to be returned to the three men.
>> In the elevator on his way to their room the Bell Captain decided he
>> couldn't return the $5 evenly to the three.
>> Upon arriving at the room, he explained that the three were overcharged
>> and
>> he was returning $1 each, on leaving he pocketed the $2 for his time.
>> Each man got back 1$ from his $10 meaning they each paid $9 or $27 for
>> the
>> room.
>> Now 3 times $9 is $27 and the Bell Captain kept $2 that adds up to $29.
>> "What happened to the other $1?"

> There is no other $1. 3 times $9 is $27 and the Bell Captain kept $2.
>
> $27 - $2 = $25 which is in the hotel cash drawer.
>

> --
> hz
>
> 'Even the crows on the roofs caw about the nature of conditionals.'
>
> -- Callimachus --

Date Subject Author
7/25/06
Read Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
fishfry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
lloyd
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Doug Schwarz
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
dkfjdklj@yahoo.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/28/06
[...]
Gerry Myerson
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Patricia Shanahan
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Barb Knox
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dave Rusin
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Bernier
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/3/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rupert
8/4/06
[...]
herbzet@cox.net
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/6/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Newberry
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Jack Markan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/7/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
8/5/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
bogus address
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/29/06
[...]
toni.lassila@gmail.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Bennett Standeven
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Craig Feinstein
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Toni Lassila
7/27/06
[...]
LauLuna
7/30/06