The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2006 16:50:30 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> That you believe axioms are true and believe we're justified in
> >> believing axioms doesn't make their truth anything more than
> >> assumptions of axiomatic truth and assumptions that we're justified in
> >> believing they're true whereas what you said is that they are true.
> >>

> >The question is whether we're justified in believing that they are
> >true.

> Oh no, no, no. You said the axioms are true and I asked how you know.

Isn't that pretty much the same as asking for the justification for my
belief in them?

> That's the issue and not whether you believe or don't believe they are
> true.
>

> > I maintain that we are, but I am not able to defend this in
> >detail today.

> You don't have to defend your beliefs. You have to defend your claim
> that the axioms are true.

What I said.

> > If you don't accept it, that's fine.
>
> Why should I care about your beliefs one way or the other? I didn't
> ask about your beliefs. You said the axioms are true and I asked how
> you know? If you wish to claim now that your statement was merely a
> rhetorical confession of faith then we can conclude that in fact you
> don't know axioms are true and move on.

I claim that I am justified in believing the axioms to be true. I have
not offered a detailed justification. We have given you some references
to have a look at.

> > There may be some
> >axioms that you think we're justified in believing, or you may think
> >we're not justified in believing anything. That's fine. If I want to
> >convince you otherwise I'll have to do it some other day.

> Like some other day when you can say how you know axioms are true?

Yes.

> >> You can't demonstrate that axioms are true but simply state that they
> >> are true but my comment was silly?
> >>

> >Yes, your comment was silly, and you're being silly again. Of course I
> >can't *demonstrate* that the axioms are true.

> But you can certainly say they are true without being able to
> demonstrate what you say is true?

Of course I can't *demonstrate* it. I may be able to show that it is
justified. I haven't done that either.

> My claim is certainly no more silly
> than yours.

Yes, it is.

> All I said is that we're too lazy or stupid to figure out
> how to demonstrate the truth of axioms and prefer to maintain our
> dignitiy in the face of sloth by devising dialectical pretenses as to
> why axioms should be considered true. Now that may be a cavalierly
> hyperbolic characterization of our sloth but nonetheless accurate.

Yes, well, that's your view, it's not mine. I haven't offered a
detailed justification for my belief in the axioms, but I have given
you a reference, and others have given you yet another one. Perhaps you
could look at those and see what you have to say about them.

> > That's why they're called
> >axioms. The question is whether we are *justified* in believing them
> >true. I have not defended my position on this issue. If you have a
> >different position that's fine.

> No that's not the question. You said the axioms are true.

They are. But you can't rationally expect to be able to demonstrate
that - that's why they're called axioms. You can ask for some sort of
justification. I haven't provided one. But we have given you reference
where you can find a discussion of the issue.

> Lester Zick
> ~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06