The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 28 Jul 2006 16:46:35 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> If they mean independent of human minds, human culture, and that sort
> >> of thing what do you mean by not independent of the semantics and why
> >> obviously so?
> >>

> >What do I mean by it? Which word don't you understand?

> I didn't understand how truths independent of the human mind could
> possibly be true and obviously so of the semantics which occur only in
> the human mind. But in faith based mathematics I suppose anything is
> possible.

You can have a sentence which expresses a proposition which is true
independently of any human mind, relative to a particular semantics.
It's not hard to understand how that's possible.

> >My claim is that it is obvious that no truths are absolute in the sense
> >of being true independently of the semantics. I'm really amazed that
> >this claim has generated so much discussion. It seems like an utter
> >triviality to me.

> Well unquestionably your claim is utterly trivial. The only issue is
> whether it is a true triviality or a false triviality. You just repeat
> your triviality above in support of what exactly? That it is trivial?
> I grant that point. But I still question whether it is a true
> triviality or a false triviality? For which mere trivial repetiton of
> the claim offers not a clue.

It is trivially true. I'm amazed anyone would suggest otherwise.

> Lester Zick
> ~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06