The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
>

> > Nam Nguyen wrote:

> >>Yes. But you're talking about relative truth/falsehood here. So you
> >>still haven't answer *why* it's ridiculous that a Zen Master would see
> >>_absolute truth_ upon hearing a sentence, no matter what semantics
> >>we could assign to the sentence.

> > If he interprets the sentence to express an absolute truth, then that
> > is obviously only the case relative to a particular semantics.

> No Rupert, it's not obvious at all. Think about the way you've just
> argued above: you have the hypothesis as the Zen Master expresses
> an _absolute_ truth and conclude that such truth is _relative_ [to a
> particular semantics of the expressing sentence]; and the only visible
> 'rule of _inference_' here is "that is obviously only the case!"
> You know a reasoning argument would be much more than that! At least
> I didn't claim here I know absolute truth exist: I already gave a caveat
> that the believability of the absolute truth in this sense is another
> matter. It's almost like you claim you know the orange the Zen Master
> said exists in his hand doesn't exist, simply because what exists in
> your hand is an apple!

It is obvious that what proposition a sentence expresses depends upon
the semantics.

> >>(Going from a subjective "ridiculous"
> >>to another subjective "of good sense" seems circular to me. As well as
> >>using "because it is obvious..." to explain "It is absolutely
> >>obvious..."!)
> >>

> > It *is* absolutely obvious. It's in the nature of things that that's
> > all I can say.

> I suspect that's not all one could say in this case: one could say
> something like "I don't know what the Zen Master means by absolute truth
> in that sense", instead of "it's obviously ridiculous!".

> >>Isn't it true though that L(PA) and the 1st-order language of arithmetic
> >>are identical, up to isomorphism between their non-logical symbols?
> >>

> > Yes. I would even say they're identical. And as far as I could tell
> > what you said entailed that you were able to talk about knowledge in
> > L(PA). I wanted to know how you proposed to do that.

> You seem to have lost me here! Setting aside the fact that the key
> point here is how trivial or significant Kon(PA), as a representation
> of knowledge based relativity, is w.r.t. to the issue of theory
> consistency, your asking me how I could talk about knowledge in L(PA)
> is really irrelevant and ridiculous! I mean isn't it true that the whole
> purpose of reasoning using FOL is to talk about *knowledge* of (some
> kind of) truths, and that PA/L(PA) is part of that reasoning?
>
> Honestly, I just don't see how we've managed to descend from the
> potential significance of K(PA) to whether or not L(PA) is the same
> as the language of arithmetic, and now to how could talk about knowledge
> using a rather well known language of FOL!

The first-order language of arithmetic talks about natural numbers, and
zero, and the successor function, and addition, and multiplication. I
have no idea how you could use it to talk about knowledge. Please
enlighten me.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?