The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 29 Jul 2006 16:49:47 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 28 Jul 2006 16:46:35 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >What do I mean by it? Which word don't you understand?

>> I didn't understand how truths independent of the human mind could
>> possibly be true and obviously so of the semantics which occur only in
>> the human mind. But in faith based mathematics I suppose anything is
>> possible.
>>

>You can have a sentence which expresses a proposition which is true
>independently of any human mind, relative to a particular semantics.
>It's not hard to understand how that's possible.

The point being whether a particular semantics resides in any human
mind or not, such that if truth is dependent on a particular semantics
how can it possibly be independent of any human mind?

>> >My claim is that it is obvious that no truths are absolute in the sense
>> >of being true independently of the semantics. I'm really amazed that
>> >this claim has generated so much discussion. It seems like an utter
>> >triviality to me.

>> Well unquestionably your claim is utterly trivial. The only issue is
>> whether it is a true triviality or a false triviality. You just repeat
>> your triviality above in support of what exactly? That it is trivial?
>> I grant that point. But I still question whether it is a true
>> triviality or a false triviality? For which mere trivial repetiton of
>> the claim offers not a clue.
>>

>It is trivially true. I'm amazed anyone would suggest otherwise.

Once again I agree it is trivial the only question being whether it is
trivially true or trivially false. You certainly appear to believe the
former but apparently have no way to demonstrate it one way or the
other except to reiterate your claim. So I guess we're just supposed
to concede the point because you say it's so and say it's trivial and
express amazement that anyone would consider it otherwise. Well please
pardon the effrontery of those who consider assumptions of trivial
truth to be the most problematic and potentially dangerous.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author
7/12/06