The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

DontBother@nowhere.net

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

On 29 Jul 2006 16:47:45 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Lester Zick wrote:

>> On 28 Jul 2006 16:50:30 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>> >The question is whether we're justified in believing that they are
>> >true.

>> Oh no, no, no. You said the axioms are true and I asked how you know.

>Isn't that pretty much the same as asking for the justification for my
>belief in them?

Sure. You haven't presented any justification. You say axioms are
true. Lot's of people say they know lots of things. If I ask how you
know 2+2=4 I expect a little more in the way of justification than
merely extemporaneous dialectical rationalization. I expect
justification in terms analogous to those used to justify mathematical
theorems whose truth in turn depends on the truth of those axioms.

>> That's the issue and not whether you believe or don't believe they are
>> true.
>>

>> > I maintain that we are, but I am not able to defend this in
>> >detail today.

>> You don't have to defend your beliefs. You have to defend your claim
>> that the axioms are true.
>>

>What I said.

Right back atcha.

>> > If you don't accept it, that's fine.
>>
>> Why should I care about your beliefs one way or the other? I didn't
>> ask about your beliefs. You said the axioms are true and I asked how
>> you know? If you wish to claim now that your statement was merely a
>> rhetorical confession of faith then we can conclude that in fact you
>> don't know axioms are true and move on.
>>

>I claim that I am justified in believing the axioms to be true. I have
>not offered a detailed justification. We have given you some references
>to have a look at.

Your beliefs are touching but why should anyone accept anything you
say just because you believe it?I daresay you also believe that 2+2=4.
Unfortunately that belief rests on your belief in mathematical axioms.
Which in turn belies the truth of 2+2=4 if not your belief that 2+2=4.

>> > There may be some
>> >axioms that you think we're justified in believing, or you may think
>> >we're not justified in believing anything. That's fine. If I want to
>> >convince you otherwise I'll have to do it some other day.

>> Like some other day when you can say how you know axioms are true?
>>

>Yes.

Well then your statement that axioms are true is just a confession of
faith.

>> >Yes, your comment was silly, and you're being silly again. Of course I
>> >can't *demonstrate* that the axioms are true.

>> But you can certainly say they are true without being able to
>> demonstrate what you say is true?

>Of course I can't *demonstrate* it. I may be able to show that it is
>justified. I haven't done that either.

In which case we are left holding a modern mathematical grab bag of
problematic truth.

>> My claim is certainly no more silly
>> than yours.

>Yes, it is.

Oh well here we go again. What you say is true because you say it.
What I say is not true because it does not agree with what you say.
Can anyone say absolute moral turpitude?

>> All I said is that we're too lazy or stupid to figure out
>> how to demonstrate the truth of axioms and prefer to maintain our
>> dignitiy in the face of sloth by devising dialectical pretenses as to
>> why axioms should be considered true. Now that may be a cavalierly
>> hyperbolic characterization of our sloth but nonetheless accurate.
>>

>Yes, well, that's your view, it's not mine. I haven't offered a
>detailed justification for my belief in the axioms, but I have given
>you a reference, and others have given you yet another one. Perhaps you
>could look at those and see what you have to say about them.

I know what I have to say about your concept of truth and silliness.
It's posted right above and it's true because I say it's true even if
I haven't yet posted a detailed justification for my beliefs because I
have a book and movie deal in the works.

>> > That's why they're called
>> >axioms. The question is whether we are *justified* in believing them
>> >true. I have not defended my position on this issue. If you have a
>> >different position that's fine.

>> No that's not the question. You said the axioms are true.
>>

>They are.

So sez you.

> But you can't rationally expect to be able to demonstrate
>that

No I guess no one can.

> - that's why they're called axioms.

And that's why you're called a modern mathematiker too lazy or stupid
to do much more than issue considered opinions he imagines are true.

> You can ask for some sort of
>justification. I haven't provided one. But we have given you reference
>where you can find a discussion of the issue.

I see. I can ask for "some sort of justification". I just can't ask
for any true justification. Well you'll have to excuse me if I just
don't bother to ask for any kind of justification of your beliefs at
all any more than I would justification for any kind of faith based
opinion of what's true.

Lester Zick
~v~~

Date Subject Author