The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Y. T.

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> In <1153717334.667835.107560@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>, on
> 07/23/2006
> at 10:02 PM, ytyourclothes@p.zapto.org said:
>

> >You have to assume that the term "you" refers to something.
>
> No. The cow that jumped over the moon is a fool. Now do you believe
> that the cow that jumped over the moon exists?

The phrase "refers to something" is not identical to the phrase
"exists". You are assuming that the term "you" *referes* *to*
*something*. For if it doesn't, then the entire sentence is meaningless
gibberish.

Either the phrase "the cow that jumped over the moon" refers to
something or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then "The cow that jumped over
the moon is a fool" is a meaningless string of words, not a sentence.
You would have made use of symbols that do not make reference to
anything. If the phrase "the cow that jumped over the moon" DOES refer
to something, the burden of proof is now on you to show that whatever
it is that the term refers to is indeed a fool. Making it two
assumptions on your part.

The sentence "I am", on the other hand does not assume anything: "I" is
simply whoever or whatever made that claim and "am" merely asserts that
that thing exists. Whatever it is. Which it has to in order to make the
claim. Which proves the claim.

This has been explained to you before.

> >The statement "I am" is proven true the moment it is asserted, for
> >it could not possibly be asserted if it wasn't true.

> You are a figment of my imagination [...]

If you exist and I am an aspect of you then I exist. My existence is
thus not under dispute here. And neither is therefore the truth of the
statement "I am".

> [...] and didn't actually say "I exist".

Anything you say in an attempt to deny the existence of any one claim
proves that you are aware of the existence of the claim. If you are
aware of the existence of the claim, then the claim was created
somewhere, somewhen by something or somebody. Which must exist, or it
could not have generated the claim in the first place. Which proves the
claim to be true.

All this is trivial and obvious. It has been proven conclusively
before. Several times. The proof has been explained to you. More than
once.

You are mentally retarded.

cordially

Y.T.