The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2006 16:47:45 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> Oh no, no, no. You said the axioms are true and I asked how you know.

> >Isn't that pretty much the same as asking for the justification for my
> >belief in them?

> Sure. You haven't presented any justification. You say axioms are
> true. Lot's of people say they know lots of things. If I ask how you
> know 2+2=4 I expect a little more in the way of justification than
> merely extemporaneous dialectical rationalization. I expect
> justification in terms analogous to those used to justify mathematical
> theorems whose truth in turn depends on the truth of those axioms.

If you expect the same sort of justification for axioms that we give to
theorems, then you're silly. Only a different sort of justification is
possible. Why don't you have a look at the references we gave you?

> >> That's the issue and not whether you believe or don't believe they are
> >> true.

> >> You don't have to defend your beliefs. You have to defend your claim
> >> that the axioms are true.
> >>

> >What I said.

> Right back atcha.

> >> Why should I care about your beliefs one way or the other? I didn't
> >> ask about your beliefs. You said the axioms are true and I asked how
> >> you know? If you wish to claim now that your statement was merely a
> >> rhetorical confession of faith then we can conclude that in fact you
> >> don't know axioms are true and move on.
> >>

> >I claim that I am justified in believing the axioms to be true. I have
> >not offered a detailed justification. We have given you some references
> >to have a look at.

> Your beliefs are touching but why should anyone accept anything you
> say just because you believe it?

I don't expect you to accept it just because I believe it. You are
welcome to hold a different view.

> I daresay you also believe that 2+2=4.
> Unfortunately that belief rests on your belief in mathematical axioms.
> Which in turn belies the truth of 2+2=4 if not your belief that 2+2=4.

> >> Like some other day when you can say how you know axioms are true?
> >>

> >Yes.

> Well then your statement that axioms are true is just a confession of
> faith.

No.

> >> But you can certainly say they are true without being able to
> >> demonstrate what you say is true?

> >Of course I can't *demonstrate* it. I may be able to show that it is
> >justified. I haven't done that either.

> In which case we are left holding a modern mathematical grab bag of
> problematic truth.

If there are no particularly good reasons for believing in the axioms,
yes. I maintain that there are. I have directed you to some references
about the issue. If you are not convinced by what they say, you are
welcome to hold a different view.

> >> My claim is certainly no more silly
> >> than yours.

> >Yes, it is.

> Oh well here we go again. What you say is true because you say it.

I never said that.

> What I say is not true because it does not agree with what you say.

I never said that either. I explained why your claim was silly. I'm
sorry if you can't understand.

> Can anyone say absolute moral turpitude?
>

> >> All I said is that we're too lazy or stupid to figure out
> >> how to demonstrate the truth of axioms and prefer to maintain our
> >> dignitiy in the face of sloth by devising dialectical pretenses as to
> >> why axioms should be considered true. Now that may be a cavalierly
> >> hyperbolic characterization of our sloth but nonetheless accurate.
> >>

> >Yes, well, that's your view, it's not mine. I haven't offered a
> >detailed justification for my belief in the axioms, but I have given
> >you a reference, and others have given you yet another one. Perhaps you
> >could look at those and see what you have to say about them.

> I know what I have to say about your concept of truth and silliness.
> It's posted right above and it's true because I say it's true even if
> I haven't yet posted a detailed justification for my beliefs because I
> have a book and movie deal in the works.

No-one says you have to share my belief. I don't expect to convince you
on the basis of what I've said so far.

> >> No that's not the question. You said the axioms are true.
> >>

> >They are.

> So sez you.
>

> > But you can't rationally expect to be able to demonstrate
> >that

> No I guess no one can.
>

> > - that's why they're called axioms.
>
> And that's why you're called a modern mathematiker too lazy or stupid
> to do much more than issue considered opinions he imagines are true.

Ridiculous.

> > You can ask for some sort of
> >justification. I haven't provided one. But we have given you reference
> >where you can find a discussion of the issue.

> I see. I can ask for "some sort of justification". I just can't ask
> for any true justification.

What would count as "true justification" for you?

> Well you'll have to excuse me if I just
> don't bother to ask for any kind of justification of your beliefs at
> all any more than I would justification for any kind of faith based
> opinion of what's true.

> Lester Zick
> ~v~~

Date Subject Author