The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

Rupert

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Lester Zick wrote:
> On 30 Jul 2006 16:22:23 -0700, "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Lester Zick wrote:

> >> Sure. You haven't presented any justification. You say axioms are
> >> true. Lot's of people say they know lots of things. If I ask how you
> >> know 2+2=4 I expect a little more in the way of justification than
> >> merely extemporaneous dialectical rationalization. I expect
> >> justification in terms analogous to those used to justify mathematical
> >> theorems whose truth in turn depends on the truth of those axioms.
> >>

> >If you expect the same sort of justification for axioms that we give to
> >theorems, then you're silly.

> Once again you resort to the pejorative term "silly" to describe what
> you can't possibly know is impossible.

If you're asking for the axioms to be demonstrated, you're asking that
we adopt some different axioms and derive the axioms from them. You're
basically asking for a different foundation. There's nothing wrong with
looking for a different foundation. But then the foundation will have
its own axioms which will be undemonstrated. It's silly to expect
everything to be demonstrated. Sometimes forms of justification other
than demonstration are necessary.

> > Only a different sort of justification is
> >possible.

> Thanks for the opinion.
>

> > Why don't you have a look at the references we gave you?
>
> Quite possibly because based on the evidence of your expressions of
> contempt and disbelief so far I have no doubt whatsoever that your
> recommendations are ludicrous, unresponsive, and just plain silly.

I have not expressed any contempt. I don't know what "disbelief" you're
referring to. You have no way of knowing whether the references are
worth looking at without looking at them, and to suggest otherwise is
silly. It's up to you whether you want to look at them.

If you have some doubt about the presently accepted axioms of set
theory that's fine. I don't think it would be reasonable of me to
expect anything I've said to resolve this doubt. You're quite welcome
to have the doubt.

> >> Right back atcha.

> >> Your beliefs are touching but why should anyone accept anything you
> >> say just because you believe it?

> >I don't expect you to accept it just because I believe it. You are
> >welcome to hold a different view.

> Gee that's just swell, sport. In that case why express your beliefs at
> all unless you expect others to consider them? "Axioms are true" is
> not couched as an opinion or belief but as a categorical statement of
> putative fact.

It is my opinion and I was expressing it. I am perfectly entitled to
express my opinion and you are perfectly entitled to entertain doubts
about it.

> >> I daresay you also believe that 2+2=4.
> >> Unfortunately that belief rests on your belief in mathematical axioms.
> >> Which in turn belies the truth of 2+2=4 if not your belief that 2+2=4.

> >> Well then your statement that axioms are true is just a confession of
> >> faith.
> >>

> >No.

> You are not expressing your faith that axioms are true?

It's not faith.

> >> In which case we are left holding a modern mathematical grab bag of
> >> problematic truth.
> >>

> >If there are no particularly good reasons for believing in the axioms,
> >yes. I maintain that there are. I have directed you to some references
> >about the issue. If you are not convinced by what they say, you are
> >welcome to hold a different view.

> Problem is I'm not sufficiently convinced by what you say to care much
> about what they say. There may be lots of good reasons for believing
> in many things including the Ten Commandments. That doesn't mean those
> beliefs aren't articles of faith any more than your belief in the
> truth of axioms.

Well, perhaps they are articles of faith. You will never know until you
examine an attempt to demonstrate otherwise. I'm afraid I don't feel up
to making the attempt at the moment. It's a difficult and complex
issue. I think it would be worth your while having a look at those
references. It's up to you. You are welcome to remain unconvinced and
refuse to look at anything I suggest to you if that's what you prefer
to do. But don't pretend you know that my beliefs are articles of
faith.

> >> Oh well here we go again. What you say is true because you say it.

> >I never said that.

> Well I can't imagine what else you could mean by the statement "axioms
> are true" which you then regress to various extraneous dialectical
> expressions of "good reasons" to accept them anyway.

Well, perhaps you should learn to understand English. I expressed my
opinion that the axioms are true and that I am justified in believing
them to be true, but I declined to present a detailed defence of this
view. You are welcome to hold a different view. It might be worth your
while having a look at the references we suggested, but that's up to
you.

> >> What I say is not true because it does not agree with what you say.
> >
> >I never said that either. I explained why your claim was silly.

> You explained nothing of the kind, sport. You said my claim was silly
> because you disagreed with my claim and called your claim obvious.

Nonsense. You need to gain some reading comprehension skills.

> > I'm
> >sorry if you can't understand.

> Oh I understand all right. You state your beliefs as if they were
> revealed truth and then claim whatever does not agree is silly because
> your claim is trivially obvious.

There's really no point in arguing with you if you're incapable of
understanding what people have actually said.

> >> Can anyone say absolute moral turpitude?

> >> I know what I have to say about your concept of truth and silliness.
> >> It's posted right above and it's true because I say it's true even if
> >> I haven't yet posted a detailed justification for my beliefs because I
> >> have a book and movie deal in the works.
> >>

> >No-one says you have to share my belief. I don't expect to convince you
> >on the basis of what I've said so far.

> That's just swell since I have no intention of sharing your beliefs
> regarding what's true without demonstration.

If you don't intend to accept anything as true without demonstration,
you'll end up never believing anything. I don't think that's a very
sensible course of action. You can entertain some doubt about the
currently accepted axioms of set theory if you want.

> >> So sez you.

> >> No I guess no one can.

> >> And that's why you're called a modern mathematiker too lazy or stupid
> >> to do much more than issue considered opinions he imagines are true.
> >>

> >Ridiculous.

> I agree. But there it is.

Your characterization of what I'm doing is ridiculous.

> >> I see. I can ask for "some sort of justification". I just can't ask
> >> for any true justification.

> >What would count as "true justification" for you?

> Aha! You're just now beginning to raise pertinent issues. I imagine it
> would run along the same lines to which mathematicians hold the
> demonstration of theorems.

Mathematicians demonstrate theorems using the axiomatic method. That
means some things are accepted without demonstration. It's the only
way. You will have to accept *some* things without demonstration.

> >> Well you'll have to excuse me if I just
> >> don't bother to ask for any kind of justification of your beliefs at
> >> all any more than I would justification for any kind of faith based
> >> opinion of what's true.

> Lester Zick
> ~v~~

Date Subject Author