The Math Forum

Topic: Set Theory: Should you believe?
Replies: 778   Last Post: Aug 8, 2006 12:02 PM

namducnguyen

Re: Set Theory: Should you believe?

Rupert wrote:

> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>

>>Rupert wrote:

>>>If he interprets the sentence to express an absolute truth, then that
>>>is obviously only the case relative to a particular semantics.

>>No Rupert, it's not obvious at all. Think about the way you've just
>>argued above: you have the hypothesis as the Zen Master expresses
>>an _absolute_ truth and conclude that such truth is _relative_ [to a
>>particular semantics of the expressing sentence]; and the only visible
>>'rule of _inference_' here is "that is obviously only the case!"
>>You know a reasoning argument would be much more than that! At least
>>I didn't claim here I know absolute truth exist: I already gave a caveat
>>that the believability of the absolute truth in this sense is another
>>matter. It's almost like you claim you know the orange the Zen Master
>>said exists in his hand doesn't exist, simply because what exists in
>>your hand is an apple!
>>

> It is obvious that what proposition a sentence expresses depends upon
> the semantics.

If you don't want to discuss about semantics and absolute truth we
could stop talking about this issue. I don't think it's helpful for
us to _keep talking_ about 2 different things.

>>Honestly, I just don't see how we've managed to descend from the
>>potential significance of K(PA) to whether or not L(PA) is the same
>>as the language of arithmetic, and now to how could talk about knowledge
>>using a rather well known language of FOL!
>>

> The first-order language of arithmetic talks about natural numbers, and
> zero, and the successor function, and addition, and multiplication. I
> have no idea how you could use it to talk about knowledge. Please
> enlighten me.

Informally, 1st-order language of arithmetic could be
said to be talking about natural numbers, 0, ... But technically
speaking, It's not a language itself that talks about such things:
it's the formal systems that do. For instance, formulae
are the expressing part of a language and the yet formula (GC /\ ~GC)
doesn't talk about any natural numbers or anything else at all, however
well-formed (thus semantically meaningful) it is.

Imho, as extracted and sterilized from natural language, 1st-order
languages have lost a few "natural" characteristics: e.g., formulae
couldn't be of interrogative form, "\/" doesn't quite have the same
semantic as that of "or",... But one of the things 1st order languages
still retain is that a well-formed formula (wff) is an assertive (or
declarative) sentence; hence a wff has its own (1st-order) semantic
(or meaning), which is the assertion itself. For instance, the formula
Ex(0 < x) simply means, in _a_ natural-language approximated
translation, the assertion "There exists an x that is greater than
zero". Also, 1st-order languages are intentionally designed in such a
way the (1st-order) semantic of a formula is equivalent to the
well-formed-ness of the formula. For example, in the language of
arithmetic L(0,+,*,<), the expression Ex(0 << x) is not a wff, as well
as is a *meaningless* expression (i.e. is not a formula that has a
semantic!)

Now, as we mentioned earlier, the formula F = (GC /\ ~GC) is
well-formed and has a semantic. But as far as FOL is concerned,
F can never be interpreted as true, or false. And this is a hint that
truth and formula semantic are quite independent of each other.
In fact, truths can only come from models and one model could be
a model for different theories of different languages - hence of
different formula-semantics.

Therefore for a given truth it's not unusual that it could correspond
to different (1st order) semantics of different formulae. The question
relevant to our discussion here is whether a (FOL) truth could
correspond to many different semantics of a single formula? (If the
answer is "Yes" then we might be able to rationale a suspicion that
an (the?) absolute truth would be independent of any semantic of an
expressing sentence.) But for this quest (of an answer), we have to
look up at the mathematical introspection and look beyond the 1st-order
semantic of a formula, to see that at meta level a single formula could
have multiple semantics (meanings). For instance, the formula:

(1) Ex(0 < x)

would have multiple semantics on the meta level, each
semantic would correspond to a different theory: one would be PA,
another would be a theory in which the formula:

(2) ExAy(~(Sy = x) /\ (Sx = 0))

is provable. And we could find a model in which (1) is true for both
theories. Then in this sense, a truth could correspond to different
semantics of a single formula.

As for how we could use a theory (not a language) to talk about
knowledge. Under FOL framework, for a given formula F of an L(T),
we'd want to be able to say in the end something to the effect that F
is true (in all models of T). But how could we ever be able to say that?
The answer is, obviously, *knowledge of a proof*! In fact the reason
why formulae are of finite lengths, proof is a finite sequence, number
of inference rules is finite, ... is because knowledge is essential to
reasoning and yet human reasoning capability is finite.

Anyway, I hope we could now leave these "obvious" behind and continue
with the possible impact of the 2 kinds of relativity that were
mentioned earlier in the thread.

Date Subject Author
7/12/06
Read Set Theory: Should you believe?