The Math Forum

Topic: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Replies: 115   Last Post: Aug 7, 2006 1:30 AM

R. Srinivasan

Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics

Barb Knox wrote:

> Consider that calculus too started out as a half-baked theory laden with
> paradoxes, and that one of the great mathematical achievements was to
> put it on a rigourous footing. And indeed, set theory was one of the
> important tools in that enterprise.

The presently accepted foundations of the calculus still does not
resolve Zeno's paradoxes. These foundations have been challenged and
new foundations have been proposed. See Sec. 4 of
<http://arxiv.org/abs/math.LO/0506475>. The failure of the academic
community to respond to this work still seems completely inexplicable
to me.

The prroblem with academics today is not that it is dominated by any
particular race or clan. The problem is that institutionalization of
research has led to systematic suppression of dissent. And from my own
perspective, it looks to me like protecting turf has at some stage
become more important than honesty, ethics and the true spirit of
enquiry that research is all about. When professionals in a field of
research fail to acknowledge significant new work in their own field
just because it happens to represent dissent, then they are as much
politicians as they are researchers. And there is something seriously
wrong with that.

Regards, RS

Date Subject Author
7/25/06
Read Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
fishfry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
lloyd
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Doug Schwarz
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
dkfjdklj@yahoo.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/28/06
[...]
Gerry Myerson
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Patricia Shanahan
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Barb Knox
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dave Rusin
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Bernier
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/3/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rupert
8/4/06
[...]
herbzet@cox.net
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/6/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Newberry
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Jack Markan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/7/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
8/5/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
bogus address
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/29/06
[...]
toni.lassila@gmail.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Bennett Standeven
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Craig Feinstein
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Toni Lassila
7/27/06
[...]
LauLuna
7/30/06