Topic: Odds & Chances
Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 2, 2006 12:07 PM

richard boone

RE: Odds & Chances

Just to clarify.

The odds of laying off the oldest person 3 times in a row is
1/(39 x 38 x 37) or 1 in 54,834. The problem is a mathematical permutation
written as 39P3 or 39! /36! .In this type of problem the oddest must be laid
off before the second oldest, etc.

The odds are different for having the 3 oldest people laid off period where
the order of layoffs is immaterial as long as the end result is that the 3
oldest are laid off (like the Pick-Six lottery). This is a combinatorial
problem, mathematically written as 39C3 or 39! /(36! X 3!). Again the odds
are 1 in 9,139.