Drexel dragonThe Math ForumDonate to the Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by Drexel University or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Topic: Axiomization of Number Theory
Replies: 52   Last Post: Aug 4, 2003 12:18 AM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Mike Oliver

Posts: 1,518
Registered: 12/6/04
Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Posted: Jul 31, 2003 5:03 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply


Andrew Boucher wrote:

> My impression was that I was using standard terminology, e.g Simpson
> speaks of "Second-Order Arithmetic" and Shapiro makes a case for
> "Second-Order Logic". Boolos uses this terminology as well. While
> "deductive" second-order Peano Arithmetic *could* refer to any r.e.
> way as you say, in practice it is not widely used that way, to my
> knowledge anyway. Instead it refers (again in practice) to the
> specific deductive system I have described, with little- and
> big-letters (i.e. two sorts), with comprehension.


Well, but you didn't actually specify a deductive system. You
just gave the axioms, not the rules. I assume you mean that some
standard Hilbert- or Gentzen-type thing is to be done with the
axioms, but you didn't actually say so.

If you *are* doing the usual Hilbert or Gentzen thing, then it
seems clear to me that this is *first*-order logic, though I absolutely
agree that it's second-order *arithmetic*. It's second-order arithmetic
because the intended interpretation involves sets of naturals, not
just naturals, but the *logic* is first-order (though two-sorted).

> In any case, I
> can't think of any other interpretation of what people mean should
> they ask whether PA2 can prove such or such theorem.


I agree that the term "PA2" is standardly used for the first-order
theory of second-order arithmetic.



Date Subject Author
7/25/03
Read Axiomization of Number Theory
Charlie-Boo
7/25/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Charlie Johnson
7/25/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Arief
7/25/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Jeffrey Ketland
7/28/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Charlie-Boo
7/28/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
William Elliot
7/28/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Charlie-Boo
7/28/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
8/4/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Charlie-Boo
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Pete Moore
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Robin Chapman
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Robin Chapman
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Robin Chapman
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Robin Chapman
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Robin Chapman
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
George Cox
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Per Eriksson
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Charlie-Boo
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Per Eriksson
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Robin Chapman
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Per Eriksson
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Mike Oliver
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Charlie-Boo
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
tchow@lsa.umich.edu
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Per Eriksson
7/29/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Arief
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Keith Ramsay
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
David C. Ullrich
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/30/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Mike Oliver
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Mike Oliver
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Aatu Koskensilta
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Mike Oliver
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Mike Oliver
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Mike Oliver
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Aatu Koskensilta
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Keith Ramsay
7/31/03
Read Re: Axiomization of Number Theory
Andrew Boucher

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© Drexel University 1994-2014. All Rights Reserved.
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.