The Math Forum

Topic: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Replies: 115   Last Post: Aug 7, 2006 1:30 AM

R. Srinivasan

Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics

Mike Kelly wrote:
> R. Srinivasan wrote:
> > Mike Kelly wrote:
>>> [...]
> > >
> > > But the sequence of nested intervals does get "as close as you like" to
> > > zero, if you wait long enough. Any point other than zero will be
> > > "passed" eventually.

> You are considering a process in time, where you are at a particular
> > interval, and then pass on to the next smaller nested interval, and so
> > on. If you asked the Greeks, they would have probably told you that
> > this infinite process of sub-diviision can never be "completed" and
> > you will "always" be an interval's length away from zero. Whereas you
> > have assumed that you can somehow complete this process, and after
> > completion, only the point zero is never passed. That precisely is the
> > issue in Zeno's paradox.

> > Note carefully the difference between your approach and mine. I am
> > considering the *totality* of nested intervals (which classical
> > standard real analysis permits) and saying that not one interval in
> > this totality has end-points "infinitely close" to zero.

> It is not necessary for any interval to have end-points "infinite
> close" to zero (whatever that means) to decide what is in the
> intersection. You're considering which real numbers are in every one of
> the nested intervals. If you pick any real number other than zero, then
> some intervals don't contain it, so they aren't in the intersection. So
> zero is the only real number in the intersection.
>
> "intersection" has nothing to do with "end-point infinitely close" to
> something.

I don't deny that there is a proof that zero is the only point in the
intersection. And there is also a simple proof-by-contradiction that
would rule out the possibilty of an interval being in the intersection.
All I am saying is that there is another paradoxical way of arguing
that an interval has to be in the intersection. And as Herb has pointed
out in another post, there may well be another way of arguing that
there should be nothing in the intersection -- I am personally not able
to get this intuition yet (will have to study the theorems he has
mentioned). You can deny these paradoxical intuitions and see no
paradox -- then there would be no way of contradicting you within
classical real analysis. Or you can look for an alternative logic where
there may be a different way of eliminating these paradoxes at the cost
of some restrictions, and yet do much of practically useful real
analysis. I am pursuing this latter route.

Regards, RS

Date Subject Author
7/25/06
Read Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
fishfry
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
lloyd
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Doug Schwarz
7/25/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
dkfjdklj@yahoo.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/28/06
[...]
Gerry Myerson
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Richard Herring
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Petry
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Patricia Shanahan
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Randy Poe
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Barb Knox
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Virgil
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dr. David Kirkby
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
zr
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Dave Rusin
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David Bernier
8/1/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
David R Tribble
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Ioannis
7/31/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Han de Bruijn
8/2/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/3/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rupert
8/4/06
[...]
herbzet@cox.net
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/6/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Newberry
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Jack Markan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
8/7/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
8/4/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Mike Kelly
8/5/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
R. Srinivasan
7/30/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
bogus address
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Gene Ward Smith
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
mensanator
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
T.H. Ray
7/28/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
herbzet
7/29/06
[...]
toni.lassila@gmail.com
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Bennett Standeven
7/26/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Brian Quincy Hutchings
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Rotwang
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Craig Feinstein
7/27/06
Read Re: Skepticism, mysticism, Jewish mathematics
Toni Lassila
7/27/06
[...]
LauLuna
7/30/06