Replies: 2   Last Post: Sep 26, 2006 9:37 AM

rtragesser@mac.com

Re: [HM] Weyl on the symbolic method for invariants

On Sep 20, 2006, at 1:04 PM, Colin McLarty wrote:

> Kung and Rota in their article "Invariant theory of binary forms"
> (Bulletin of the AMS, vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 27-85, 1984) say Hermann
> Weyl called the symbolic method "the warhorse of ninteenth century
> invariant theory."
>
> Does anyone know a citation for this quote, or for anything like it

Weyl's 1939 AMS address, I believe [I've quoted Weyl from that for
other purposes, not this one, but (albeit fallibly) recall Weyl
mentions this -- a fishy calculating technique in search of an
algebraic "foundation") sorry I don't have access to the
Gessamm.Abhandl to check. But instead of 'symbolic method' perhaps
it is 'calculus of finite differences' or 'umbral calculus of finite
distances'.
I also suspect that 'the warhorse of...' is one of Rota's not
uncommon hyperbolic "paraphrases".

Best wishes,
Robert Tragesser, from Chatham, MA.,--
A touch of fall and the surf is up, but the sea off Nauset Beach,
Cape Cod, is still warm enough to swim without a wetsuit among the
curious and curiously friendly seals that hang about just beyond the
breakers.