Replies: 13   Last Post: Dec 7, 2006 4:19 PM

jim farned

Re: [HM] question about term "normal"

>Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 09:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
>From: judy grabiner <jgrabine@pitzer.edu>
>Subject: [HM] question about term "normal"

Dear Judith,
The definition of "normality" given on the Wolfram MathWorld
site is relative "to a base b", which involves then a series of
exponentiations (ie, the representation of the given number
in that base, b). Though without conclusive argument, it would
seem to me that such exponentiation would reestablish the
exponentiality of the Gaussian normal; and thus the essential
equivalence of the two usages. Regards from Santa Barbara,
Ca.'s autumnal balminess, Jim Farned