The Math Forum

Topic: squaring a circle
Replies: 18   Last Post: Jan 3, 2012 12:22 PM

Mensanator

Re: squaring a circle

>Subject: squaring a circle
>From: vsvasan@md4.vsnl.net.in (vsvasan)
>Date: 12/13/2003 10:01 AM Central Standard Time
>

> Sub: Unsolvabve Geometrical Problems
> Squaring a given circle is unsolvable .

And its unsolvabilty has been proven.

>There are volumes of pages on the
>subject which I have read - from Archimedes to SrinivasaRamanujan.

And none of them proved it. So what?

> Well! I have found out a solution.

No, you haven't.

>Could not believe it ?

Belief is irrelevant. It's been proven impossible.

>My logic is very simple.

And wrong.

>"Pi" is an irrational number.

It's also transcendental.

>So is square root of 2.

But the square root of 2 is _not_ transcendental. Look up the difference.

>There is a simple
>geometrical construction to solve for square root of 2.

Nobody said that was impossible.

>Similarly I have
>developed a simple geometrical construction to solve for "pi".

If you constructed it, what you have is _not_ pi, because pi cannot be
constructed.

> My question is Where to send it?

The circular file.

>Is there any Maths Forum where I can
>present my papers and answer questions of the experts?

Sure, right here on sci.math. But instead of crowing about your proof, try
asking for
help in understanding why it's wrong.

> May I request you to kindly guide me in this regard.

Sorry, I wouldn't be able to find your fallacy even though I know it exists.

--
Mensanator
Ace of Clubs