The Math Forum

Topic: squaring a circle
Replies: 18   Last Post: Jan 3, 2012 12:22 PM

W. Dale Hall

Re: squaring a circle

vsvasan wrote:
> Sub: Unsolvabve Geometrical Problems
> Squaring a given circle is unsolvable . There are volumes of pages on the subject which I have read - from Archimedes to SrinivasaRamanujan.
> Well! I have found out a solution. Could not believe it ? My logic is very simple.
> "Pi" is an irrational number. So is square root of 2. There is a simple geometrical construction to solve for square root of 2. Similarly I have developed a simple geometrical construction to solve for "pi".
> My question is Where to send it? Is there any Maths Forum where I can present my papers and answer questions of the experts?
>
> May I request you to kindly guide me in this regard. Thank you

You're likely to run into the same sort of small-minded attitude among
the mathematicians here, that our beloved JSH experienced.

Why not follow his tack? Look into this publication of the Mega
Foundation:

See http://www.megasociety.net/NoesisHighlights.html

It worked for JSH. Maybe it'll get your discoveries some clear air.

BTW, the other poster suggesting a web page containing your argument,
coupled by a discussion on sci.math dedicated to exposing the flaw in
the argument (sorry, if your construction means to produce pi via a
constriction using compass and [unmarked] straightedge only, then your
are mistaken, and there is some error in the argument).

Persevere, and be of good faith (not to mention good humor), and no
doubt you'll learn something.

Dale.