The Math Forum

Topic: squaring a circle
Replies: 18   Last Post: Jan 3, 2012 12:22 PM

Daniel W. Johnson

Re: squaring a circle

Russell Harper <rharper1661@rogers.com> wrote:

> Just wondering, is it possible to create these tools using a compass and a
> straightedge (and maybe a pair of scissors)? /R

Well, one angle trisection requires a straightedge that you can mark; it
is then slid along a circle and line. (That not being one of the
operations described by Euclid, it has no impact on the proof of
impossibility.) I've also seen a drawing of an angle trisection device
with fairly simple moving parts.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@iquest.net