Topic: F-test for comparing variances?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Nov 9, 2006 5:20 PM

Reef Fish

Re: F-test for comparing variances?

Richard Ulrich wrote:

> There is an interesting little point about F-distributions at the
> end...
>
> On 6 Nov 2006 19:42:57 -0800, "Reef Fish"
> <large_nassua_grouper@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure that the "larger over the smaller" was the old
> > > convention. I stated that, and how to use it; and Art re-stated it.

> > There is NO such convention. You should have read what I posted.

> Bob also writes his posts without reading the next sentence.

< numerous gratuitous and irrelevant comments by Richard Ulrich
snipped>

> [snip]
> [snip]

> > And I asked the question: Probability greater than 1?

RU> SPSS used to provide the "F-ratio test for variances"
>
RU> - I was amazed when I first saw p-values reported as greater
RU> than 1.0, like "1.07".

Richard was now trying to blame SPSS for his OWN errors.

> From Google, < define:gratuitous >
>
> Definitions of gratuitous on the Web:
> - without cause; "a gratuitous insult"
> - complimentary: costing nothing; "complimentary tickets"; "free
> admission"

As I had said to Richard, any insult on HIS error of getting a
probability
of greater than 1 is hardly an INSULT, let alone gratuitous.

-- Reef Fish Bob.