Topic: JSH: Math is cruel
Replies: 27   Last Post: Nov 18, 2006 1:44 PM

JAMES HARRIS

Re: Math is not cruel. Math is indifferent.

Brian wrote:
> You are confusing two concepts: "cruel" and "indifferent".
>
> If you trip over a rock, the rock is not being cruel, just indifferent.
>
> If you throw a rock at someone, that is cruel.
>
> If you repeatedly smash your head against a rock,
> which you do here, and others point out that maybe
> you should try to do something useful instead, are
> they being cruel?
>
> If you repeatedly try to convince others that smashing
> your head against a rock is a good idea, and that they
> should try it too, aren't YOU the cruel one?

Well, that makes sense for a rock, but mathematics is about
intelligence.

I suggest to you that math IS intelligence.

It is the sine qua non of intelligence.

So, you can say that the math KNOWS what it is doing when you run out
of money, and can't feed yourself. It just doesn't give you more so
that you can survive.

It will let you die, despite its absolute intelligence.

Get it?

I will win here despite all the opposition because the math is what
rules, and the denials of posters is just about gaining the
energy--mathematically required--to allow me to change the academic
world.

So despite your belief in your own free will and intelligence, your
behavior is really just about the need to change one piece of the world
as mathematically required as the math is absolute intelligence, so
there is no way you can change what MUST logically happen.

So, math is not a rock.

It is absolute intelligence. Complete and total intelligence.

So it knows what it is doing to you.

James Harris