Topic: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Replies: 44   Last Post: Dec 3, 2006 5:58 AM

Larry Hammick

From: Vancouver
Registered: 12/6/04
Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"

> There may be some irony in this. Since 'krank' in German
> basically means 'sick', and 'Er ist krank [im Kopf]' might be used to
> mean 'He is sick [in the head]', I would guess that our use
> of the word 'crank' to describe someone who is basically a
> nut of some kind is derived from the German.

Quite possible IMO.

"Crank" in our sense seems to be have originated in the 20th Century.
Maybe it derives from talk of "crank telephone calls" or "crank
letters". Math cranks do have a tendency to pester people with
communications.

Off topic, remember the great news correspondent Walter Cronkite?
Adapted from Krankheit, I'll bet.

Date Subject Author
11/27/06
Read Need German equivalent of "crank"
Larry Hammick
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Gottfried Helms
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Iain Davidson
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Helmut Richter
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Bart Goddard
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Dave Seaman
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Helmut Richter
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Iain Davidson
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Helmut Richter
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Jan Kristian Haugland
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Dik T. Winter
11/29/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
marcus_b
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Hero
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Larry Hammick
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Dennis Ritchie
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
marcus_b
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Michael Press
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Larry Hammick
11/29/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Michael Press
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Pubkeybreaker
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Randy Poe
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Gottfried Helms
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Robert Israel
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Dik T. Winter
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Gerry Myerson
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
11/27/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Iain Davidson
11/29/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
12/1/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Iain Davidson
12/1/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Gottfried Helms
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
BDH
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
galathaea
11/28/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Proginoskes
11/29/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
11/29/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
ZZBunker
11/30/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
11/30/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
ZZBunker
12/1/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
12/1/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
12/2/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Hauke Reddmann
12/2/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Nick
12/2/06
Read Re: Need German equivalent of "crank"
Bart Goddard
12/3/06