Topic: Hex Win Proof?
Replies: 41   Last Post: Mar 24, 2004 6:39 PM

Steven Meyers

Re: Hex Win Proof?

w.taylor@math.canterbury.ac.nz (Bill Taylor) wrote in message news:<716e06f5.0403181938.72a82f90@posting.google.com>...
> It is an old theorem that in Hex, once the board has been completely
> filled in with two colours, there *must* be a winning path for one
> or other of them.
>
> Now, I can prove this easily enough mathematically, but I'm wondering if
> there is a simple proof, or proof outline, that would be understandable
> and reasonably convincing to the intelligent layman.
>
> Can anyone help out please?

> Bill Taylor W.Taylor@math.canterbury.ac.nz
> The empty board waits.
> Stones cascade down onto it!
> The game is over.

Hello Bill and everyone,

Check http://web.cs.ualberta.ca/~javhar/hex/hex-yproof.html for a
simple proof using the game of Y. The proof has been around for over
thirty years but did not come to light until I discovered a closely
related proof (which was published in Issue 12 of Abstract Games.)

Regards,

Steve

Date Subject Author
3/18/04