Topic: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 3, 2004 6:56 AM

David McAnally

Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Carlos_Santos?= <jcsantos@fc.up.pt> writes:

>Craig Feinstein wrote:

> > Here is another question: I look on the web and find a ton of papers
> > trying to refute Cantor's Theorem. (Just Google "Cantor diagonal
> > wrong" and see what you get.) I have never seen one of them that
> > convinced me. Why is there so much opposition to this theorem when
> > most other famous theorems are pretty much universally believed?

>There's a slight confusion here. One thing is Cantor's theorem stating
>that the reals are uncountable and another thing is Cantor's diagonal
>argument, which was actually Cantor's second proof of his theorem; see

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor%27s_first_uncountability_proof

>or the article "Georg Cantor and transcendental numbers" by Robert Gray
>(American Mathematical Monthly 101, No.9, 819-832 (1994)).

>What I fail to understand is this: why is it that those who attack
>Cantor's diagonal argument do not attack also is other proof of his
>theorem?

I would suggest that either they do not know about it, or they do not
understand it. The one person whom I have seen arguing about it on
sci.math did not understand it.

David

"But I'm always true to you, darlin', in my fashion,
Yes, I'm always true to you, darlin', in my way."
-- Lois Lane

-----

Date Subject Author
3/29/04
Read another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Craig Feinstein
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
A N Niel
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Craig Feinstein
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Will Twentyman
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Robin Chapman
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jose Carlos Santos
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David McAnally
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Richard Sabey
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Lee Rudolph
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Lee Rudolph
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
ZZBunker
4/1/04
[...]
Thomas Nordhaus
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Justin Davis
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Robin Chapman
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David McAnally
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/4/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/4/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Daryl McCullough
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/9/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/9/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/13/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/13/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/16/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/16/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/22/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
5/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Rubin
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Rubin
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Ted Hwa
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Manheim