Topic: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 3, 2004 6:56 AM

Rupert

Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem

"Herman Jurjus" <h.jurjus@hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:<c5o47o$3ei9o$1@ID-110648.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> "Rupert" <rupertmccallum@yahoo.com> wrote in message news://d6af759.0404141902.4ca869e@posting.google.com...
> > david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com (David Petry) wrote in message news:<25bac3c0.0404141222.7c584b80@posting.google.com>...
> > > rupertmccallum@yahoo.com (Rupert) wrote

> > > Somehow, I don't think you explained anything. You merely restated
> > > what you said the first time.
> > >
> > > If you can prove V exists, you can prove that it is countable
> > > relative to some meta-language. But you claim otherwise. Why?
> > >
> > > I suppose I should admit that I don't know a great deal about
> > > this topic, but you have hardly increased my knowledge of it.

> > If ZFC is consistent, and we are uttering theorems of ZFC in the
> > first-order language of set theory, we can always entertain the
> > possibility, without making any of our theorems false, that our
> > discourse, let's call it the object language, is relative to some
> > countable model. Then a metalanguage will be available in which what
> > we referred to as V in our object language, will now in fact be
> > countable. This possibility *may* hold of our language, I don't think
> > it *has* to hold, this may be a point of difference between us.
> >
> > But in any case, you have to decide what language you're talking in.
> > Whether you're talking in the object language or the metalanguage, it
> > won't be true that V is countable. In both the object language and the
> > metalanguage, all theorems of ZFC are true, and it's a trivial theorem
> > of ZFC that V is not countable.

> But then, just like the original thing only _seemed_ uncountable,
> but in reality countable, your 'meta world' could also be only
> seemingly uncountable, but be 'meta-meta' countable.
> Or do i miss something?
>
> Cheers,
> Herman Jurjus

We can always entertain the *possibility* of any language that its
semantics is relative to a model which is correctly called "countable"
in some metalanguage. I don't think this possibility always has to
hold.

Date Subject Author
3/29/04
Read another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Craig Feinstein
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
A N Niel
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Craig Feinstein
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Will Twentyman
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Robin Chapman
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jose Carlos Santos
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David McAnally
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Richard Sabey
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Lee Rudolph
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Lee Rudolph
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
ZZBunker
4/1/04
[...]
Thomas Nordhaus
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Justin Davis
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Robin Chapman
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David McAnally
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/4/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/4/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Daryl McCullough
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/9/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/9/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/13/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/13/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/16/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/16/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/22/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
5/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Rubin
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Rubin
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Ted Hwa
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Manheim