Topic: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Replies: 88   Last Post: May 3, 2004 6:56 AM

Jesse F. Hughes

Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem

Eckard Blumschein <blumschein@et.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:

> Jesse F. Hughes wrote:
> Mathematics is about deductive consequence, and if the

>> consequences of our axioms are counterintuitive or surprising, well,
>> that's too bad for our intuitions (or perhaps we must in extreme cases
>> reconsider our axioms).

> Why not trying the latter?

Because the great advances in mathematics post-Cantor show that the
basic foundations are interesting? Good luck constructing a viable
alternative. Once you have it (and you have the initial results
showing that it is interesting, rich, useful, etc.), let me know.

> Were not distributions introduced like generalized density functions
> as to cope with some problems of physics? This reminds me of
> cosmetics rather than a fundamental recast. I tend to see Cantor's
> paradise the eggshells of a mathematics of discrete numbers while
> Hilbert was correct in that the infinitely large as well as the
> infinitely small evade our comprehension of numbers.
>
> Let me suggest some practical corrections.
>
> You will certainly agree that any single finite value xn of a continuous
> quantity x is per se completely irrelevant because it is surrounded by
> infinitely many nearly identical neighbours.

Sorry for being dense (no pun intended), but I won't agree to that. I
don't really know what it means.

> It simply has no comparable weight. Therefore it is not justified to
> distinguish between x>xn and x>=xn.

Uh. Well. Maybe you should get them results *first* and then provide
the motivational argument later. It doesn't seem to be going so well
this way.

[...]

--
"Naomi Klein reports that Microsoft is helping develop e-government in
Iraq, 'which Dees admits is a little ahead of the curve, since there

Date Subject Author
3/29/04
Read another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Craig Feinstein
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
A N Niel
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Craig Feinstein
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Will Twentyman
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Robin Chapman
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jose Carlos Santos
3/30/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David McAnally
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Richard Sabey
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Lee Rudolph
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Lee Rudolph
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
ZZBunker
4/1/04
[...]
Thomas Nordhaus
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Detlef Mueller
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Hermann Kremer
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Jesse F. Hughes
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Justin Davis
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Robin Chapman
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David McAnally
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/1/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/2/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Torkel Franzen
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/4/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/4/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Daryl McCullough
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/9/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/9/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/13/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/13/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/14/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/16/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/16/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/22/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Eckard Blumschein
5/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Jurjus
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Rubin
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Petry
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/7/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
4/5/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David C. Ullrich
4/6/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Herman Rubin
4/3/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Rupert
3/31/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
Ted Hwa
3/29/04
Read Re: another boring critisism of Cantor's Theorem
David Manheim