The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

Guest

Watch Watch this User
Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

Gerry Myerson <gerry@maths.mq.edi.ai.i2u4email> wrote in message news:<gerry-1AD269.11591023042004@sunb.ocs.mq.edu.au>...
> In article <c98b1ba0.0404221444.4623535e@posting.google.com>,
> Anonymous wrote:
>

> > I'm currently a math major and am taking linear algebra, but I'm in
> > serious danger of failing. I just don't get it! Is this newsgroup a
> > place to come to ask questions and get information about learning
> > math? Or is there somewhere more appropriate to go?

> The appropriate place to go is your teacher's office. Ask her to
> take the time to go through a few problems with you & to suggest
> what you ought to be doing to get a grip on the material.

Oops, I also forgot to comment on office hours in my last post. Some
friends have recommended this, but the way my schedule just so happens
to be set up this semester, I'm almost always in other classes during
my linear professor's assigned hours. On the days I'm not, there have
always been other things going on that have prevented me from seeking
help (I live in a triple room and my other two room mates have had
severe problems with each other this semester; I've been caught in the
middle and a lot of the time that I should have been using to study,
read, do homework, and visit whatever office hours I'm free for has
been taking up instead by talking to deans, my dorm's R.A.'s, etc--but
this is a whole 'nother issue).

When I've used office hours in the past, I've found that students
generally need some kind of basic idea where their problem lies. With
linear algebra, I'm not sure about that. I wouldn't want to waste the
professor's time (or become even confused about the topics I thought I
understood), especially since it's incredibly hard to find a time at a
professor's office hours when they're free anyway. In the past, I've
spent hours waiting and waiting outside a professor's office, just to
go inside and not have any clue where my problem lies, and then leave
the office hours feeling more confused than when I went in.

So...I don't know what to do. I do want to meet with my professor
when I'm free to do so on Thursday, before my last in-class exam on
Friday (I'm not sure this will give me enough time to solve
anything...) and perhaps again before my final exam in two weeks.

I've come a long way in my understanding of linear algebra using the
guides I have, but, like I've said, I'm still really unsure what my
problem is. Something tells me I may just need a little more brushing
up on a little more specific useage of the concepts, and I may be OK.
Finding a way to solve proofs might be helpful too; this is something
I generally suck at and not having all the concepts clearly seems to
only make the proofs harder.

Date Subject Author
4/22/04
Read Failing Linear Algebra: