The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

Russell Blackadar

Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 06:27:28 -0500, David C. Ullrich
<ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

[snip]

>The advice is what Rusin already said: next time you take the
>course _learn_ the definitions, _precisely_. Word for word.
>You need to know the definitions well enough that when you
>see the word "basis" the phrase "independent spanning set"
>pops into your head _immediately_, without a moment's
>thought.
>
>Probably it's too late for that this semester,

Although this professor's pessimism is warranted, based on his
experience and on what little we know of the OP from the posting, that
doesn't necessarily mean the *student* should be pessimistic yet.
There's a whole weekend (plus?) before the test, and the concepts
*can* be learned in that amount of time if sufficient organization and
diligence are put in. Talk to your professor if possible, and in any
case plan out your study so you can follow Rusin's excellent advice
first and still have time to do some problems and proofs (which may
begin to make more sense to you). Consider it a challenge.

Of course you should also not be reading Usenet any more this week, so
please log off now.

[snip good stuff]

Date Subject Author
4/22/04