The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

Guest

Watch Watch this User
Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

mmanch01@my-deja.com (maky m.) wrote in message news:<188f56bf.0404231216.2fa757ac@posting.google.com>...
> Anonymous wrote in message news:<c98b1ba0.0404221444.4623535e@posting.google.com>...
> > I'm currently a math major and am taking linear algebra, but I'm in
> > serious danger of failing. I just don't get it!

> perhaps math is not for you.
>

> > Is this newsgroup a place to come to ask questions and get
> > information about learning math?

> to some extent, yes.
>

> > Or is there somewhere more appropriate to go? I've always had
> > trouble with vectors, and I think I fell apart sort of right at the
> > beginning of linear algebra (although, I did manage to get a B- on the
> > very first exam).

> it may be the case that your B- wasn't the result of your efforts, but
> rather the fear your math teacher has of losing his job.

Trust me, it wasn't. I earned that B-. I even managed some extra
credit points on that first test.

> > I've got another exam next week. What can I do?
>
> study and solve problems?

Where do I get problems to solve?

> > I don't get all the terms, concepts, and jargon.
>
> do you read your book?

Sometimes. I try to. Sometimes I understand it and I can continue to
read. And sometimes I just don't understand what the book's trying to
say, and I find that everything in the next few sections is just
confusion because of it. This happened to me during the
basis/dimension/image/kernel/isomorphism/change of basis part of the
book.

>does your math teacher show you examples?

Sometimes, but they're general examples more often than not.

do
> you do homework?

To the best of my ability.

> > Anyone know how to make learning linear algebra easier and more
> > practical?

> linear algebra has plenty of neat applications, but i guess you would
> need to learn LINEAR ALGEBRA first.

Which is what I'm trying to do.

> > Anyone got any practice problems?
>
> doesn't your book already have those?

Not really. Especially not ones with solutions.

Date Subject Author
4/22/04
Read Failing Linear Algebra:
Guest