The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

Michael Stemper

Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

In article <c98b1ba0.0404271348.505ed6bd@posting.google.com>, Anonymous writes:
>mmanch01@my-deja.com (maky m.) wrote in message news:<188f56bf.0404231216.2fa757ac@posting.google.com>...
>> Anonymous wrote in message news:<c98b1ba0.0404221444.4623535e@posting.google.com>...

>> > I don't get all the terms, concepts, and jargon.
>>
>> do you read your book?

>Sometimes. I try to. Sometimes I understand it and I can continue to
>read.

That's exactly the mistake that I made when I was in college, as a
hopeful math major. I'd read something, say to myself, "I understand
that", and move on. That's why, after three semesters, I was looking
for a new major. If there's one thing that I learned in college, it's
that you can't read a math testbook as if it were _1, 2, 3, Infinity_
of _The Education of T. C. Mits_.

Now, some xx years later, I'm resuming the study of math. What I do
now is read half a page, or maybe a page. Then, I stop, go back, and
challenge every line that I've read.

<Y> is? Can I think of a <Y> that doesn't have <b>? What's so special
about <c>?

Then, I encounter a proof. I read it through once. Then, I go right
back to the beginning, and ask myself what the proof is about. Sometimes,
I need to slow down and figure out what the real, deeper meaning of
the hypothesis is. Then, for each step of the proof, I force myself
to actually state how and why it follows from the previous step. This
sometimes means that I need to look at the justification given in my
book, and say "but why is *that* true?" This leads to going back and
reviewing a previous result.

As some famous dead Greek guy said, "There is no royal road to
geometry." This stuff takes work.

--
Michael F. Stemper
#include <Standard_Disclaimer>