The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

maky m.

Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

Anonymous wrote in message news:<c98b1ba0.0404271348.505ed6bd@posting.google.com>...
> mmanch01@my-deja.com (maky m.) wrote in message

> > Anonymous wrote in message

.
.
.

> > > Or is there somewhere more appropriate to go? I've always
> > > had trouble with vectors, and I think I fell apart sort of
> > > right at the beginning of linear algebra (although, I did
> > > manage to get a B- on the very first exam).

> > it may be the case that your B- wasn't the result of your efforts,
> > but rather the fear your math teacher has of losing his job.

> Trust me, it wasn't. I earned that B-. I even managed some extra
> credit points on that first test.

if that is the case, what happened with the other tests? what change
took place to cause your performance to decline?

> > > I've got another exam next week. What can I do?
> >
> > study and solve problems?

> Where do I get problems to solve?

1. your teacher.
2. your book.
3. other books.

suggestions on linear algebra books

1. steven leon's linear algebra with applications
2. gilbert strang's linear algebra
3. shaum's outline

> > > I don't get all the terms, concepts, and jargon.
> >
> > do you read your book?

> Sometimes. I try to. Sometimes I understand it and I can
> continue to read. And sometimes I just don't understand what
> the book's trying to say, and I find that everything in the
> next few sections is just confusion because of it.
> This happened to me during the
> basis/dimension/image/kernel/isomorphism/change of basis part
> of the book.

some advice:

in the future, when this sort of thing happens where you put due time
and effort into understanding mathematics but for some reason do not
accomplish that, you need to head to your teacher's office. make
him/her earn his/her buck.

> >does your math teacher show you examples?
>
> Sometimes, but they're general examples more often than not.

this seems to indicate that your teacher does NOT show you examples.
this may well be the main reason why you are not learning. what
appears to be going on is that your teacher is filling his/her ego by
emphasising on theory while failing to make it understandable/sensible
through examples. not impressive.

> > do you do homework?
>
> To the best of my ability.

is your teacher correcting that homework and giving you feedback?

> > > Anyone know how to make learning linear algebra easier and more
> > > practical?

> > linear algebra has plenty of neat applications, but i guess you would
> > need to learn LINEAR ALGEBRA first.

> Which is what I'm trying to do.

if that is the case, then you really need not be worring about
applications at this point - at least none that are beyond those a
typical linear algebra book would introduce.

> > > Anyone got any practice problems?
> >
> > doesn't your book already have those?

> Not really. Especially not ones with solutions.

search for a shaum's outline or similar publication.

Date Subject Author
4/22/04
Read Failing Linear Algebra:
Guest