The Math Forum

Topic: Failing Linear Algebra:
Replies: 54   Last Post: Jan 10, 2007 12:47 PM

Russell Blackadar

Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

On 28 Apr 2004 17:23:30 GMT, rusin@vesuvius.math.niu.edu (Dave Rusin)
wrote:

>In article <c98b1ba0.0404271113.66efce63@posting.google.com>,
>Anonymous wrote:
>

>>I already bought the text, the Cliff's
>>Notes guide to linear algebra, a 2003-version of the Schaum's outline,
>>and I even have an old 1968 version of Schaum's that my grandmother
>>used when she majored in math.

>This is not your grandmother's Linear Algebra course!
>(I've always wanted to say something like that.)

Ha, yes. But grandma's book is perfectly OK; that's the edition I was
praising in my earlier post. I see at Amazon that some reviewers are
complaining about errata in the new book; that surprised me because I
had found my 1968 edition remarkably error free. (At least to *my*
eye.) One reviewer cites a very minor misprint on p. 6, which can be
seen in the sample pages -- but that misprint is *only* in the newer
edition, at a place where some perfectly OK notation was replaced by
something different but really no better, and a mistake crept in. I
was sorry to see that; perhaps older is better in this case. (Though
not much of an issue, I suspect.)

To Anonymous (who should be studying, not reading this) I apologize for
not addressing his specific concerns about this book; for some reason
I skimmed over that part of his post. Well, if he needs more
explanation than is in Schaum, that's easily available elsewhere (such
as his textbook). Personally I found the explanations adequate --
indeed superior to those in many textbooks -- but the strong point of
Schaum is really more in the area of confusion elimination; it *has*
to be sparse to achieve that end, IMHO.

Date Subject Author
4/22/04
Read Failing Linear Algebra: