Topic: List of 'good' geometry textbooks
Replies: 9   Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 1:27 PM

John Benson

RE: List of 'good' geometry textbooks

I have used the Rhoad Milauskas Whipple book for years and years in high
school. It is light on the logic part, although it has lots of proofs. It
pretty much overlooks the parallel postulate and some of the things Hilbert
pointed out as being important. It also has virtually no applications.

But, it has by far the best collection of geometry problems of any book I
have seen. So, I fill in the missing logic and theory as appropriate, as
well as applications here and there, and have the students do many
interesting problems every night. If you are unfamiliar with the book, look
at the problem set for the chapter where the Pythagorean Theorem is
introduced for starters.