Topic: Famous Mathematica 5.0 not working with Mathematica
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jul 7, 2014 4:09 PM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Famous Mathematica 5.0 not working with Mathematica

After letting Mathematica 6.0 do its automatic scan of the notebook and
then letting it do the suggested change with respect to Random (using
RandomReal instead), I saved the notebook, shut down Mathematica,
started Mathematica again, and ran the input cell with the fresh kernel.

Result:

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry.

This is on a 32-bit Windows XP Pro machine with 2GB RAM. No other
foreground applications were running, but the usual complement of
background services and other processes were running, including Norton
Antivirus, ZoneAlarm Pro, etc.

By comparison, if I run the same notebook (without the
Random->RandomReal change) under Mathematica 5.2 and with the same
background processes, the evaluation does complete (with a total kernel
time of 156.407, a total time of 177.6, and a benchmark ratio of 2.76645).

To pinpoint the difficulty with 6.0, one could start by running each
individual test separately.

Of course Mathematica 6.0 ships with its own Benchmarking package which
-- surprise! -- has no difficulty completing.

--
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.