Topic: Famous Mathematica 5.0 not working with Mathematica 6?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Jan 25, 2013 12:39 PM

Igor Antonio

Re: Re: Famous Mathematica 5.0 not working with Mathematica

Jean-Marc Gulliet wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
>> Hello. I am performing an evaluation of Mathematica 6 with the demo
>> version on both Windows XP 32 bits and OS X 10.4.9. However both crash
>> when evaluating the famous Karl's Mathematica benchmark:
>> http://www2.staff.fh-vorarlberg.ac.at/~ku/karl/timings50.html
>>
>> Did anyone experience the same thing? Have you got any suggestion?
>> Thank you.

> Hi,
>
> I have done some more testing, and the culprit seems to be the graphic
> engine. Having commented out the following two expressions from Karl's
> original notebook,
>
> Timing[Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {y, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
> PlotPoints -> 4000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]][[1]],
> Timing[Plot3D[Evaluate[q4[x, t]], {x, -40, 40}, {t, -40, 40},
> PlotPoints -> 2000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]][[1]]
>
> Mathematica did not consume too much memory.
>
> Moreover, if one loads the legacy graphic engine
>
> In[1]:= << Version5`Graphics`
>
> then evaluating the following expression
>
> In[2]:= Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {y, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
> PlotPoints -> 4000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]
>
> Out[2]= --SurfaceGraphics--
>
> works fine. However, evaluating the same expression with the new graphic
> engine eats up all the memory available.
>
> In[3]:= << Version6`Graphics`
>
> In[4]:= Plot3D[Sin[x y], {x, 0, 2 \[Pi]}, {y, 0, 2 \[Pi]},
> PlotPoints -> 4000, DisplayFunction -> Identity]
>
> Regards,
> Jean-Marc

The option PlotPoints->4000 sets a much, much, much larger number of
points in Mathematica 6.0 due to the adaptive sampling feature of
Plot3D.
(http://www.wolfram.com/products/mathematica/newin6/content/HighImpactAdaptiveVisualization/)

You should try setting the option MaxRecursion->0 in Plot3D to disable
that adaptive sampling.

--
Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.