Topic: Progressive Education at Its Best
Replies: 64   Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 9:13 PM

Greg Goodknight

Re: Progressive Education at Its Best

Haim wrote:
> Greg Posted: Jul 3, 2007 10:03 AM
>

>> There is no doubt your choice of language and ad
>> hominems do violate the standards set down by Drexel.
>> It probably also violates the standards of any employer
>> of math teachers in Michigan.
>>

> Greg,
>
> I suspect you are barking up the wrong tree.
>
> First, regarding the code of ethics for teachers in Michigan,
> http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Code_of_Ethics_Layout_128009_7.pdf
> they can hardly be vaguer, and there is nothing in them remotely similar to, say, the code of ethics for lawyers.

No disagreement here. However, I wasn't talking about state codes of
ethics, I was referencing schools and districts. I have a hard time
believing any school board reading most of Mikey's posts would want him
in their classroom.

> In the profession of law, there are very specific ethical standards that carry sometimes severe penalties. For instance, if a lawyer commingles a client's money with his own, or if he enters into a professional relationship that involves a conflict of interest, the lawyer can be reprimanded, disbarred, even jailed. Here is what a real code of ethics looks like,
> http://www.nysba.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Attorney_Resources/Lawyers_Code_of_Professional_Responsibility/Lawyers.Code.pdf
> Take special note of "Disciplinary Rules".
>
> Even more interesting, and far more important, it is possible to review a lawyer's work for competence. No such thing is possible with teachers, which is one reason some people scoff at the notion of teaching being a profession. There is just not enough about teaching that resembles real professions.
>
> But, having chatted with Pooper Scooper long enough, you already knew that.

"Value added" analysis is a method that can identify teachers who
consistently underperform, as well as identify those who consistently
outperform their peers. However, you have to have a system that values
something other than years in service and often meaningless coursework.
> Haim
> Je me souviens

Greg
? ???????

Date Subject Author
6/30/07
Read Progressive Education at Its Best
Bishop, Wayne
6/30/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/30/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Bishop, Wayne
6/30/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/30/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Haim
6/30/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
6/30/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Haim
6/30/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/1/07
[...]
7/2/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Haim
7/1/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Haim
7/1/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/1/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Greg Matheson
7/1/07
[...]
7/3/07
[...]
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Haim
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Haim
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Haim
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Richard Strausz
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Anna Roys
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Jim Wysocki
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Anna Roys
7/4/07
Read Re: Progressive Education at Its Best
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/5/07