The Math Forum

Topic: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Replies: 22   Last Post: Jul 16, 2007 1:07 AM

Proginoskes

Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics

On Jul 15, 12:55 pm, Thomas Madden <thomas.mad...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:
> On 7/15/07 4:02 AM, in article
> 1184497336.168368.166...@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com, "JB"
>
> <wjb...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> > The cas world has expanded
> > greatly in the last few years and now is the time to consolidate
> > those gains with quality improvements.

> The problem isn't the quality of the software. The problem is that
> there is no way to idiot proof the software for users like you.
>
> Here is a nice example of JB identifying a "bug."
>

> > JB wrote:
> > How can Maple solve int(sin(z)*sin(z^3+z),z=0..infinity);
> > but not int(sin(z)*sin(z^3+z), z); ?

> >>Christopher Creutzig replies:
> >> The obvious possibilities include (in decreasing order of likelihood)
> >>pattern matching, convolution, and change of variables.

> >JB replies:
> >Huh? It is necessary to work out the integration i.e.,
> >int(sin(z)*sin(z^3+z), z) before evaluating the limits as in
> >int(sin(z)*sin(z^3+z),z=0..infinity); Sounds like some sort of
> >convoluted bug to me.

> I feel for the Maplesoft rep who got stuck in the phone with JB trying to
> with explain that one. And yet he has the audacity to accuse others of
> wasting the developers time.
>
> Maybe you should pick up a math text and learn something instead of ranting
> and raving all day about things you know nothing about.

In particular, JB should check out the evaluation of the integral of
e^(-x^2) from -infinity to +infinity (which should be in any Calculus
III book) despite the fact that e^(-x^2) has no nice antiderivative.

--- Christopher Heckman

Date Subject Author
7/13/07
Read To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Vladimir Bondarenko
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Jon Slaughter
fateman@gmail.com
dimmechan@yahoo.com
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Vladimir Bondarenko
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable)
critics
bleh
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Vladimir Bondarenko
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
dimmechan@yahoo.com
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Vladimir Bondarenko
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
JB
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
dimmechan@yahoo.com
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous)
(gifted/pitiable) critics
Thomas Madden
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Vladimir Bondarenko
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous)
(gifted/pitiable) critics
Thomas Madden
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
JB
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
fateman@gmail.com
7/15/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
JB
7/15/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
JB
7/15/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous)
(gifted/pitiable) critics
Thomas Madden
7/15/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
JB
7/15/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous)
(gifted/pitiable) critics
Thomas Madden
7/16/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Proginoskes
7/14/07
Read Re: To all my amazingly (clever/stupid) (stingy/generous) (gifted/pitiable) critics
Walter Roberson