Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

My feeling has long been that it would be good to have a list called
"math-teach" focused squarely on what the name implies: teaching
mathematics. Posts not related to the teaching of mathematics could
be placed on a parallel list. Victor Steinbok started such a list
years ago, called "math-polemic" or something similar. But it didn't
draw much action and most certainly didn't keep polemics off of THIS
list, which I'm pretty sure was the purpose.

Since it's clear that the Math Forum neither has the resources nor
the desire to police this list, there are only a few reasonable options:

1) the status quo - those who find the heat on math-teach excessive
should get out of the kitchen. As Kirby pointed out, there are many
other fine lists people may join that are different in a host of ways
from this one.

2) Richard's suggestion of two lists as noted above. Clearly,
voluntary agreement to keep polemics off the teaching list and vice
versa, with gentle reminders from members to violators, be the
violations intentional or accidental, would be the way to go. But
for it to work, based on history, Math Forum has to be willing to
look at legitimate complaints about repeat violators and deal with
them. Otherwise, this becomes a complete was of time.

3) Someone has to volunteer to become the list moderator. A revision
or restatement of the purposes and foci of the list, appropriate
policies for posting, etc., and the moderator must have the option of
suspending and banning violators. Obviously, this makes the list
slow, and unless the moderator is well-chosen, acts wisely (and has a
hell of a lot of spare time and patience), this is a potentially list-
destroying or crippling option.

I can live with any of the above. My preferences are 2, 1, 3 in order
of first to last, but I really am fine however it goes. There are
other lists. And when it comes to arguing politics, be it the
politics of education, math education, or anything else, there are
lots and lots of places to fight, both lists and blogs aplenty to
suit any taste.

Maybe a fourth option would be to change the name of this list to
math-dogfight. :)

On Jul 21, 2007, at 2:29 PM, Domenico Rosa wrote:

> Richard Strausz wrote:
>>
>> My solution - one that would require minimal staff
>> time:
>>
>> Subdivide the math teach into two parts:
>>
>> 1. one that focuses on teaching math
>> 2. one that allows discussions on all other
>> education issues.

> In my opinion, this list shoud be kept as-is and continue to permit
> uncensored, open discussions about all issues related to
> mathematics education.

I think the clear problem is that there are very few discussions and
only a smattering of threads that clearly focus on mathematics
education. And with the name being math-teach, there aren't many
fights, arguments, or debates about mathematics TEACHING at all. Kind
of odd.

An alternate list that might more accurately fit the foci of some
members would be math-texts. It's clear that for some members, that's
what most things are about, after all.

> Dom Rosa

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07