Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

And so I take it that you would support blocking people who make
unsubstantiated charges of "racism" against either members of this
list or individuals whose only reason for being accused of "racism"
is that they favor a particular math curriculum or method of
teaching, or are skeptical (in a reasonable, polite way) about other
curricula or methods?

How about suggestions that we "blow up the schools of education"?
Would that be covered, or is that socially acceptable on this list,
in your view?

When is an ad hominem attack okay? That is to say, are ad hominem
attacks from SOME list members acceptable, or will you actively
support blocking ANYONE who indulges in ad hominems, foul language
(and let's be very clear that there's no agreement here as to what
comprises "foul language"), false accusations, and other mendacities"?

Rather than your citing of past history, real and imagined, in your
adhering to refraining from both the things you mention and some
other things that I and some other list members find to be purposely
inflammatory and designed to have a chilling effect on reasonable
disagreement and discourse.

On my view, some list members have systematically tried to have it
both ways: complain about the behavior of only members whose views
they wish weren't being expressed, while both tolerating similar
behaviors from those with whom they agree, and also very neatly
skirting the line between civil and offensive discourse so as to be
able to claim moral high ground while clearly intending to bait and
insult those holding dissenting views or merely expressing some small
doubt or skepticism.

There's no need to mention names or point fingers. EIther there is a
set of reasonable guidelines and everyone agrees not just to abide by
them but also to see to it that others do, regardless of whether
these others are viewed as allies, opponents, friends, or strangers,
or this will continue to be what it has been.

On Jul 21, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Greg Goodknight wrote:

> 4) The Mathforum acts under the authority of the existing rules of
> the Mathforum and Drexel and block those who persist in abusing
> this list with ad hominems, foul language, false accusations and
> other mendacities.

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07