Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Anna Roys

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
att1.html (3.3 K)

On 7/21/07, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:

> " This is only to be expected, as I have asserted a few times, because
> there really are no important unresolved pedagogical issues in teaching
> mathematics, especially at the K-12 level."

I question whether there are really no important unresolved pedagogical
issues at K12 level. If this were true then our nations students might be
excelling in mathematics and they are not. Why do you think this?

Rather, math education suffers because of larger issues in the political
> environment of teaching, i.e., issues beyond the classroom. And that is
> where the great strength of MATH-TEACH has been. MATH-TEACH has been a
> forum for exploring these larger environmental issues.

I agree here that the political environment is getting in the way of fixing
things for the students of America. We as educators are polarized in our
views of how to help students, and it is the students who suffer most.
Looking for common ground and real live actions we can take might help.

>From what I have heard and thought I understood on this list, there is no
one saying that content is not critical, there is no one saying that using
learning strategies for specific situations has no value.

One of the reasons I chose to remain on the math-teach list was what you
speak of as the great strength. If enough discussions were held nationwide
with a goal to find common ground - well, we might be able to fix some
maladies.

We all know what this forum's central problem is, and there is no use in
> averting our eyes from it. A very small number of MATH-TEACH participants,
> one person especially, has made it his business to poison the waters of
> MATH-TEACH by personally defaming everyone else, in the vilest possible
> terms. He does it volubly and relentlessly and almost invariably he
> succeeds in shutting down all debate. To say nothing of scaring off old and
> potential participants of this forum.
>
> Solve him and you have solved your problem.

I have noted a remarkable change in the language used in posts since "my
experiment". Additionally I would say that it takes more than one to
perpetuate personal conflict in communication.

Do we really want to complain and slander each other or have intellectual
discussions that could solve problems? What is our commitment to improving
education in America?

Myself I am committed to do all I can personally to investigate the
situation and to make changes that will be valued and help our nation's
kids succeed.

Anna
One of the reasons I chose to remain on the math-teach list was what you speak of as the great strength. If enough discussions were held nationwide with a goal to find common ground - well, we might be able to fix some maladies.

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07