Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Bishop, Wayne

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

At 12:49 PM 7/21/2007, Greg Goodknight wrote:
>Stephen Weimar wrote:
>>Thanks very much for that idea.
>>I have heard from others who are in favor of a list focused on
>>teaching. I can see the value in having two lists or narrowing the focus.
>>
>>I am unfortunately setting the constraints very high in terms of
>>Math Forum staff time. Successful solutions will have to involve
>>equal or less time than deleting subscribers who violate group standards.
>>I imagine your solution involves more than that in order to
>>determine which discussion a post should go in, moving it to
>>another discussion, and also handling abuse. This is complicated by
>>the fact that some participate via a mailing list, rather than
>>through our web-based discussion software.
>>
>>I don't want to bother the list with procedural or technical
>>discussions so feel free to continue to discuss the details with me
>>in private and I will summarize as needed.
>>steve@youcanguesstherest
>>

>Steve,
>
>Thank you for bringing some attention to this list, originally
>titled nctm-l and meant as discussion of the "NCTM Standards". This
>was once a vibrant list, and I think it can be again. Many moderated
>lists are openly hostile to those of us who have not bought into the
>NCTM vision, and one reason some of us stay despite the abuse we
>have received is the unmoderated nature allows our voices to be heard.
>
>Deleting subscribers who violate the reasonable standards of the
>Mathforum and Drexel is a justifiable action that should not take
>much administrative time, especially if posting via the web is not supported.

Exactly the right solution, Greg. At long last, just follow the
existing rules.

Wayne

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07