Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Jim Wysocki

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

Haim wrote:
> This is only to be expected, as I have asserted a few
> times, because there really are no important unresolved
> pedagogical issues in teaching mathematics, especially
> at the K-12 level.

And that statement alone is perhaps the crux of the problem in the forum. There are some here that believe the above statement to be patently false. And then there are those who thoroughly believe that statement to be true (as Haim clearly does). There can be no true discussion when one (or both) side(s) feel they have the Truth. There will be a lot of shouting and name-calling, as we have seen, but little real conversation.

I, for one, ask only for a place to converse with people searching for better ways to teach content where the participants are open to new ideas. In this forum it often feels more like I am trying to convert someone from their religion.

Ideally, in my mind, this forum would only be open to people open to changing their mind on occasion (not that they have to - just be open to the possibility). That is about as possible as the Pope converting to Islam tomorrow, so I am fresh out of ideas. I am curious to see what develops.

Jim

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07