Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

The sad tale of lists where evil reform advocates are "openly hostile
to" critics is very very amusing.

Try being the only pro-reform voice or even neutral voice on a
parents-with-pitchforks group. Try being the only liberal on a right-
wing blog. Even if Greg's claim is true, it's hardly the case that:
A) there are no lists where he can get his voice not only heard, but
acclaimed; and B) that pro-reformers are the only rough-housers on
the internet.

It's hard not to scoff at the notion that Dr. Bishop has the
slightest understanding of what it means to follow the rules here or
elsewhere, unless the rules are: 1) For Wayne, anything goes: 2) For
critics of Wayne, skeptics of Wayne, and advocates of progressive
reform or anything he doesn't like - sit down and shut up. And stop
complaining about Rule #1.

On Jul 21, 2007, at 8:29 PM, Wayne Bishop wrote:

>> Greg Goodnight wrote:

>> Steve,
>>
>> Thank you for bringing some attention to this list, originally
>> titled nctm-l and meant as discussion of the "NCTM Standards".
>> This was once a vibrant list, and I think it can be again. Many
>> moderated lists are openly hostile to those of us who have not
>> bought into the NCTM vision, and one reason some of us stay
>> despite the abuse we have received is the unmoderated nature
>> allows our voices to be heard.
>>
>> Deleting subscribers who violate the reasonable standards of the
>> Mathforum and Drexel is a justifiable action that should not take
>> much administrative time, especially if posting via the web is not
>> supported.

> Exactly the right solution, Greg. At long last, just follow the
> existing rules.
>
> Wayne

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07