Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

Anna Roys wrote:

> I have noted a remarkable change in the language used in posts since
> "my experiment". Additionally I would say that it takes more than one
> to perpetuate personal conflict in communication.

Sometimes it does just take one bad apple to spoil the bunch. For three
or four days we had a relatively open discussion. Nice, wasn't it?

> Do we really want to complain and slander each other or have
> intellectual discussions that could solve problems? What is our
> commitment to improving education in America?

I think the true slander has been coming from only one source. This
isn't about being civil; one can lack civility and still be far from
being slanderous, obscene or harassing.

Like, for example the memorable "Greg Goodnight blows donkeys." - MPG
3/31/06

Who can forget "But defending Bishop Blather was always a job for a
sneaky little shit like Greggie, and now he's back, still sucking up to
the Moron-in-Chief while purporting to have a clue about, what, is it
the lattice method this time? "

Or the more recent "On Jun 14, 2007, at 6:06 PM, Greggie Badnightmare
defecated: " and
"But you remind me of a variation on an old joke: Why do the wives of
anti-progressives die before their husbands? Because they want to." ,
the 6/14/06 comment about my late wife, dead of cancer a few years ago.

Or "I don't care what you do or write, Greggie. You're less than the
lowest beast in the fields, as are your friends in MC/HOLD and
like-minded animals." 6/14/07

Or the number of times Mike has deemed me an anti-Semite, a brownshirt,
a liar. I'll dig out references if anyone needs them.

There are any number of folks with similar education philosophies to
Goldenberg's who I have had fulfilling exchanges with on this list and
its nctm-l predecessor, but the poisoning of this well has caused most
all to stop posting. The listowner has allowed this over the past decade
in the apparent hope the list will police itself. That might have been a
hope that the Mathematically Correct sympathizers would finally go away,
but it looks like that won't happen.

So, will the rules of Drexel and the Math Forum be enforced, or not? If
there are standards for discourse on lists hosted by these institutions,
now is the time to demonstrate them.

-Greg Goodknight
BS Physics, MS Electrical Engineering

> Myself I am committed to do all I can personally to investigate the
> situation and to make changes that will be valued and help our
> nation's kids succeed.
>
> Anna

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07