Topic: Help with a school project, a statistical survey on education
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jul 13, 2013 4:14 PM

loom91

Re: Help with a school project, a statistical survey on education

On Jul 20, 8:14 pm, richardsta...@comcast.net wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:55:28 -0000, loom91 <loo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Hi,
>
> >The students of statistics in my high-school have to do a project. The
> >topic we have chosen is Educational Performance in Kolkata Schools and
> >Its Relation to Gender and Gender Interactions. I outline our goals
> >below:

> >1)Collect data about Madhyamik results (a centralised exam organised
> >by the state education board to pass the 10th grade). We will sample
> >marks from all-boys schools, all-girls schools and co-educational
> >schools. We have selected the schools to be of similar average
> >educational performance. The average socio-economic condition of the
> >students is also approximately the same, hopefully eliminating that
> >variable.

> >2)We will examine various parameters of the marks, with emphasis on
> >the difference between the boys schools and the girls schools. These
> >include central tendencies, standard deviations, skewness etc. We will
> >also examine the myth that girls are relatively stronger at humanities
> >subjects while boys are stronger at science subjects. We may also
> >examine if the population is heterogeneous (that is, whether 'good
> >students' and 'bad students' form two distinctly distributed
> >populations).

> >3)We will then analyse the data obtained from the co-educational
> >schools and try to determine if the co-educational environment lessens
> >the difference between boys and girls.

> >Now, we are all grossly inexperienced and this is the first time we
> >will attempt a statistical study instead of working in out classrooms
> >with provided data. I'm eagerly seeking suggestions from experienced
> >persons about possible pitfalls and how to make our results
> >statistically meaningful.

> >I'm also looking for specific help on the following topics:
>
> >i)What is a suitable measure of whether girls are stronger at some
> >subjects while boys at other subjects? I'm thinking of comparing the
> >percentage of total marks obtained in one subject, standardised
> >against the whole population. For example, consider the variable X =
> >percentage of total marks earned in History+Geography. Next, we define
> >the standardised (wrt the entire population) variate corresponding to
> >X, let it be Z. Now we compute the mean of Z over the girls schools
> >([itex]E_1(Z)[/itex]) and the mean over the boys schools ([itex]E_2(Z)
> >[/itex]).

> >If the first value is larger than the second value (it seems one will
> >have to be positive and the other negative), then we may say that
> >girls prefer humanities more over other subjects than boys. Next we
> >can do the same analysis on the boys vs girls population in coed
> >schools and see if the difference is less. By using the absolute marks
> >instead of expressing it as percentage of total marks, we can also
> >compare the relative performance (as opposed to preference) of boys
> [...]

Well, we are not using any quantitiative criteria to select the
schools (nor do we intend to). We are basically taking two 'reputed'
boys schools, two 'reputed' girls schools and one 'reputed' coed
school. Differences in absolute means are not of much importance or
significance in such a small test. Our goal is to measure the
difference between same-sex schools and coed schools.