Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Bishop, Wayne

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

At 01:00 PM 7/22/2007, Richard Strausz wrote:
> > Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:
> > > I think where the problem comes in is when people who WANT to talk
> > > about teaching are quickly attacked for not using Saxon or Singapore
> > > Math and hence being "racists,"

Greg Goodknight wrote: yeah
> > I don't recall this ever happening. One or more quotes, please, with
> > dates and authors. Folks just wanting to talk about teaching being
> > smeared as racists for the crime of not using Saxon or Singapore.

>Greg, this has been part of Wayne's regular method of
>operation. His message was that if one didn't use Saxon or
>Singapore, one was depriving the needy students of their rights.

As Greg has already suggested, "One or more quotes, please, with
dates". I would not call it an MO but my recurrent message is that
not using effective mathematics curricula and failing to have an
effective school atmosphere is depriving students of their rights and
the situation is especially damaging to students who lack
compensating alternatives such as Kumon (straight out of Japanese
juku), Sylvan Learning, home supplementation (often with Saxon or
Singapore Math), or the like. To read what you appear to read in my
writings is, I believe, unsupportable. I invite you to prove me
wrong. Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07