Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Michael Paul Goldenberg

From: Ann Arbor, MI
Registered: 12/3/04
Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

A little more Wayne and accusations of racism:

<http://tinyurl.com/2vobd9>

"It was the first
edition of Algebra 1 (now in the third?) that got the word spreading,
that got
the Window Rock High School Navajo kids performing at national norm
level, and
that got my daughter's Mae Carden school to drop Mae Carden's eighth
grade math
curriculum (rest her anguished soul) in favor of Saxon. It spread
from there
down, grade-by-grade, with consistently improved student performance
and with a
high level of student, teacher, and parental approval. The school is
far above
the ERB CTP III independent school norms which are themselves far
above their
suburban norms and which are in turn far above their all-student norms.
Ignorance will credit this to affluence and/or race. THAT PERSPECTIVE
IS ELITIST AND/OR RACIST.
[emphasis added]
It is a competent, day-by-day program, consistent over
time - including mandated, neatly prepared, homework - and nothing else.
Indian kids in Fort Defiance, AZ, learn mathematics just like my
daughter does
given the opportunity and the necessary coercion.

Wayne.

On Jul 22, 2007, at 4:38 PM, Greg Goodknight wrote:

> Richard Strausz wrote:

>>> who WANT to talk
>>>>

>>> Saxon or Singapore
>>> I don't recall this ever happening. One or more
>>> quotes, please, with dates and authors. Folks just wanting to
>>> talk about
>>> teaching being smeared as racists for the crime of not using Saxon
>>> or Singapore.
>>>
>>> -Greg
>>>

>> Greg, this has been part of Wayne's regular method of operation.
>> His message was that if one didn't use Saxon or Singapore, one was
>> depriving the needy students of their rights.
>> Richard
>>

> If it is a regular MO, then it should be easy to find an example.
> "Folks just wanting to talk about teaching being smeared as
> racists". One classic example such that the above can be seen as a
> fair representation.
>
> -Greg

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07