Topic: cube root of a given number
Replies: 112   Last Post: Jan 10, 2013 1:39 PM

Iain Davidson

Re: cube root of a given number

On 22 Jul, 23:47, arithmonic <djes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > 394 343 -1
> > 703 612 -1
> > 1012 881 -1
> > 1321 1150 -1
> > 1630 1419 -1
> > 1939 1688 -1
> > 2248 1957 -1
> > 2557 2226 -1
> > 2866 2495 -1
> > 3175 2764 -1
> > 3484 3033 -1
> > 3793 3302 -1
> > 4102 3571 -1
> > 4411 3840 -1
> > 4720 4109 -1
> > 5029 4378 -1
> > 5338 4647 -1
> > 5647 4916 -1
> > 5956 5185 -1
> > 6265 5454 -1
> > 6574 5723 -1
> > 6883 5992 -1
> > 7192 6261 -1
> > 7501 6530 -1
> > 7810 6799 -1
> > 8119 7068 1
> > 15929 13867 -1
> > 24048 20935 -1
> > 32167 28003 -1
> > 40286 35071 -1
> > 48405 42139 1
> > 88691 77210 1
> > 128977 112281 1
> > 169263 147352 -1
> > 298240 259633 -1

> > Can you solve x^3 -2x^2 -x+1 =0 ?
>
> > > Notice that I am challenging you and your friend Grover Hughes with two very simple inquires.
>
> > I don't know why you think Grover Hughes is a friend of mine.
>
> > You used to claim that you could find the best simultaneous
> > approximations to cubrt(2), cubrt(4).
> > As you methods are so revolutionary, I would have thought
> > this would have been possible too.

> > In fact, you can use your methods for simultaneous approximation of
> > cubrt(2), cubrt(4), but it would be
> > sheer luck if a best approximation was found.
> > Shall I give you a hint ?

> > Do you understand the diffference between fast convergence and best
> > rational approximation ?

> One step at the time, please.
>
> Let us focus on the main point of this thread: The extremely simple
> high-order arithmetical methods shown in my webpages, and your
> allegued Hurtwitz's Root-Solving Method as being the same thing that
> my methods, in such a way, that when talking about them you stated: "I
> don't think the claim that these methods are in any way new stands up
> to scrutiny."
>
> Only after clarifying this point to the sci.math audience I will
> procede to answer all the other
> remarks you have made in this posting.
>
> But... Please, If you don't mind, I want to ask you just two more
> questions specifically related to this table you have shown on the
> fifth root and your remark about the methods shown in my webpages: "I
> don't think the claim that these methods are in any way new stands up
> to scrutiny."
>
> ARE YOU JUST PLAYING A JOKE OR WHAT?
> HAVE YOU EVER READ A BOOK ON THE HISTORY OF MATHEMATICS?

What I find strabge is that you claim to have invented
a new method of root solving and yet seem to be incapable
of applying it to any problem I pose.

Can you solve x^3 -2x^2 -x+1 =0 ?
Why is it that I can apply your method to simultaneously
approximate cubrt(2), cubrt(4) but you can't. ?

Date Subject Author
4/20/04
Read cube root of a given number
vsvasan
4/20/04
Read Re: cube root of a given number
A N Niel
4/20/04
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Richard Mathar
7/14/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Sheila
7/14/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
amzoti
7/14/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
quasi
7/14/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmeticae
7/16/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Gottfried Helms
7/16/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/21/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/21/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/21/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/21/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/22/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/22/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/22/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/23/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/24/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/24/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/24/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/24/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/24/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
gwh
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/25/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
8/6/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
semiopen
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
semiopen
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
semiopen
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/26/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
7/27/07
[...]
7/28/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
7/28/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/5/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmeticae
8/5/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/6/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
8/6/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/6/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmeticae
8/7/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/7/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
mike3
8/10/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
8/10/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/11/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
r3769@aol.com
8/11/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/11/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
r3769@aol.com
8/11/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/11/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
r3769@aol.com
8/12/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/17/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
r3769@aol.com
8/12/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
8/13/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
Iain Davidson
8/24/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
arithmetic
8/28/07
Read Re: cube root of a given number
narasimham
1/10/13
Read Re: cube root of a given number ...
Milo Gardner
8/28/07
[...]
Proginoskes
7/21/07