Topic: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Replies: 43   Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 9:08 AM

Bishop, Wayne

Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion

Thanks Michael, reviewing these old posts has been fun. It is
obvious that my "accusations of racism" were nothing more than
pointing out implications of unintended consequences of race-based
(and sex-based) decision-making in mathematics education. Justice
Roberts said it beautifully, "the best way to stop racial
discrimination is to stop discriminating on the basis of
race." Solid evidence that minority students or women learn
mathematics better using curricula or pedagogy better aligned for
white males (Asian females included) would need to be considered but
the fact is that no such thing exists. In fact, all evidence points
the other direction, women and minority students who succeed in
math-based studies do the same problems, take the same tests, etc.,
as their white male counterparts. The Roberts logic applies.

Wayne

At 02:13 PM 7/22/2007, Michael Paul Goldenberg wrote:
>A little more wayne and accusations of racism:
>
><http://tinyurl.com/2vobd9>
>
>"It was the first
>edition of Algebra 1 (now in the third?) that got the word spreading,
>that got
>the Window Rock High School Navajo kids performing at national norm
>level, and
>that got my daughter's Mae Carden school to drop Mae Carden's eighth
>grade math
>curriculum (rest her anguished soul) in favor of Saxon. It spread
>from there
>down, grade-by-grade, with consistently improved student performance
>and with a
>high level of student, teacher, and parental approval. The school is
>far above
>the ERB CTP III independent school norms which are themselves far
>above their
>suburban norms and which are in turn far above their all-student norms.
>Ignorance will credit this to affluence and/or race. THAT PERSPECTIVE
>IS ELITIST AND/OR RACIST.
>[emphasis added]
> It is a competent, day-by-day program, consistent over
>time - including mandated, neatly prepared, homework - and nothing else.
>Indian kids in Fort Defiance, AZ, learn mathematics just like my
>daughter does
>given the opportunity and the necessary coercion.
>

>Wayne.

>>>Greg, this has been part of Wayne's regular method of operation.
>>>His message was that if one didn't use Saxon or Singapore, one was
>>>depriving the needy students of their rights.
>>>Richard

>>If it is a regular MO, then it should be easy to find an example.
>>"Folks just wanting to talk about teaching being smeared as
>>racists". One classic example such that the above can be seen as a
>>fair representation.
>>
>>-Greg

Date Subject Author
7/21/07
Read Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Richard Strausz
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Stephen Weimar
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bishop, Wayne
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/23/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
r!chard tchen
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Joe Obrycki
7/24/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/25/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Bonnie
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Domenico Rosa
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Michael Paul Goldenberg
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Kirby Urner
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Haim
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Anna Roys
7/22/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Greg Goodknight
7/21/07
Read Re: Math Forum and the math-teach discussion
Jim Wysocki
[...]
June Lester
7/22/07